Jul 28, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Tracy McGrady was on the playoff roster of the San Antonio Spurs as they made their run to the NBA Finals, but understandably, he wasn’t able to contribute all that much.
McGrady’s skill set has diminished far below the electric level it once reached, and he’s no longer capable of registering meaningful minutes against the game’s best players.
But McGrady can still play, and showed as much in China before coming to the Spurs last season. And a return there isn’t something he’s ruling out.
In a pre-game press conference in Nanning, McGrady said he might come back to China Basketball Association (CBA) league despite its under par competitive environment.
“For those who have played years in NBA and still want to prolong their career like me, CBA is a great alternative,” said McGrady who played a whole CBA season before he joined the Spurs, clutched 25 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game, and his all-star performance help him sustain his highly respectable status in China.
But he didn’t reveal much about the next stop of his career. “I am happy to be home with my wife and kids. But if possible, I may come back to CBA. I haven’t really thought about that,” said McGrady.
Those numbers endeared McGrady to the fans in China, and showed he still has something left.
McGrady did appear six times in the playoffs while with the Spurs, but never for more than eight minutes in a single game, and each time the contests had already been decided by the time he checked in. If he’s truly looking to continue to play, then China seems like his best option.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 0
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)