Jul 28, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady was on the playoff roster of the San Antonio Spurs as they made their run to the NBA Finals, but understandably, he wasn’t able to contribute all that much.
McGrady’s skill set has diminished far below the electric level it once reached, and he’s no longer capable of registering meaningful minutes against the game’s best players.
But McGrady can still play, and showed as much in China before coming to the Spurs last season. And a return there isn’t something he’s ruling out.
In a pre-game press conference in Nanning, McGrady said he might come back to China Basketball Association (CBA) league despite its under par competitive environment.
“For those who have played years in NBA and still want to prolong their career like me, CBA is a great alternative,” said McGrady who played a whole CBA season before he joined the Spurs, clutched 25 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game, and his all-star performance help him sustain his highly respectable status in China.
But he didn’t reveal much about the next stop of his career. “I am happy to be home with my wife and kids. But if possible, I may come back to CBA. I haven’t really thought about that,” said McGrady.
Those numbers endeared McGrady to the fans in China, and showed he still has something left.
McGrady did appear six times in the playoffs while with the Spurs, but never for more than eight minutes in a single game, and each time the contests had already been decided by the time he checked in. If he’s truly looking to continue to play, then China seems like his best option.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 1
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6