Jul 28, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
Channing Frye was diagnosed with an enlarged heart condition that kept him out of basketball entirely for all of last season. There was an extended period of time where Frye couldn’t even do any heavy cardio exercise just to stay in shape, and his return to the court was uncertain, at best.
As the season approaches and the Suns have 16 guaranteed contracts in place (after trading Luis Scola to the Pacers for Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee), the status of Frye has come into question. And the answer, while not finalized just yet, appears to be a positive one.
“We’re optimistic that he’ll be with us and playing,” [Suns GM Ryan McDonough] said of Frye. “Channing wants to play and the results he has gotten have been good. Obviously, we just want a consensus.”
Frye himself answered with a brief “yes” when he was asked on Twitter recently if he was going to play this year.
The key here is having every medical person involved signing off on Frye’s health, because that’s something that’s obviously far more important than a return to basketball.
If Frye is able to play, the Suns would be getting a big man who’s capable of stretching the floor with some fairly consistent three-point shooting, as well as a good guy who’s a hard worker back into their locker room. And there isn’t a team in the league that wouldn’t want to add more of those qualities to its roster.
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 0
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 5
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 16