Jul 28, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
Channing Frye was diagnosed with an enlarged heart condition that kept him out of basketball entirely for all of last season. There was an extended period of time where Frye couldn’t even do any heavy cardio exercise just to stay in shape, and his return to the court was uncertain, at best.
As the season approaches and the Suns have 16 guaranteed contracts in place (after trading Luis Scola to the Pacers for Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee), the status of Frye has come into question. And the answer, while not finalized just yet, appears to be a positive one.
“We’re optimistic that he’ll be with us and playing,” [Suns GM Ryan McDonough] said of Frye. “Channing wants to play and the results he has gotten have been good. Obviously, we just want a consensus.”
Frye himself answered with a brief “yes” when he was asked on Twitter recently if he was going to play this year.
The key here is having every medical person involved signing off on Frye’s health, because that’s something that’s obviously far more important than a return to basketball.
If Frye is able to play, the Suns would be getting a big man who’s capable of stretching the floor with some fairly consistent three-point shooting, as well as a good guy who’s a hard worker back into their locker room. And there isn’t a team in the league that wouldn’t want to add more of those qualities to its roster.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)