Report: Marcus Camby will sign with the Rockets

Jul 28, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Rockets have made another free agent big man acquisition, and while it’s not as big of a deal as the one involving Dwight Howard earlier this summer, it may be an important one to the team’s ultimate chances nonetheless.

Marcus Camby is expected to sign with Houston today, according to a report from Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

Camby was traded to the Raptors in the deal that sent Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks, but negotiated a buyout of his contract in order to pursue an opportunity with a contending team instead.

There were several teams in pursuit of Camby, including most recently the Heat, Bulls, and Rockets.

Camby’s presence gives the Rockets a backup plan if something goes wrong with Howard or Omer Asik, but when healthy, Camby can be a strong contributor defensively, particularly on the boards.

We’ll see where the contract figure comes in on this deal, but it won’t be anything crazy that would tie up the franchise’s spending power in future seasons.

(UPDATE: And it’s not. Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reports that it’s a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum, which in Camby’s case will be $1.4 million.)

Besides, after acquiring James Harden last year and now with Howard in place, Houston is in a win-now mode to try and fill out its roster with the right pieces that will allow it to immediately join the ranks of the championship contenders.

Camby holds career averages of 9.5 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocked shots per game over 17 NBA seasons.

1. money2long - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

rockets have rebounders. i hope he finds a fit.

2. lakerslegacy2432 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

good pick up if he can give them min, but if a ring is what he is seeking HEAT wouldve gave him best opp

• sportsfan18 - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Many thought he’d choose the Heat or the Rockets.

The Heat for the best chance for a ring.

The Rockets because I’ve heard his kids live there and he has a home.

Guess family won out and I wish him nothing but the best.

• arrondior - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM

You know I don’t think people realize just how good the Rockets are going to be next season. I think the Thunder missed their window. I have the Rockets and the Clippers in the Western Conference finals next year.

3. 00maltliquor - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Why can’t the Heat sway a decent C to sign (not the Bird)? Now he’s going to be a 3rd C on a 2nd rd. and out team. Glad the Rockets get better, that’s for sure, but objectively speaking I can’t figure out why these guys that can start for a proven championship team end up going elsewhere for a very marginalized role.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My friend, I am right there with you. I know that the Heat said they had 2 priorities this off season: re-sign Allen and Birdman. But in reality, they needed to add a decent center. I know they’re still in the running for Oden, but I have a slight feeling he’ll pick a different team (like the Pelicans…). This has to be one of the only times I’ve seen a back-to-back championship team have problems attracting other players to join their ranks! I don’t know if it’s the Heat front office not really going after someone (I did hear that the Heat’s interest in Camby waned in the latter part of this courtship) or if it’s something else. Either way, I’m not all that happy with the off season the Heat had, especially after the Pacers picked up a couple of nice pieces and so did the Nets, Spurs, Clippers, and Rockets.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Yeah, Oden’s definitely going to the Pelicans, I think the writings on the wall. I hope he goes there. That to me would be the coolest move, but not the smartest if I were Oden. But as a fanofthegame ( ;-) ) I think it would be cool to see him join that interesting NOP core.

But as far as Camby goes, it just doesn’t make sense. I mean, I’m not complaining. I root for the Rockets every year and Camby’s one of my all-time favorite non-superstars, so I like the depth. Especially for when D12 injures his vag’. But the Heat need a real C.

Not a great one, just a serviceable one. Bird is cool and he definitely does his job, but Camby, even at 59 years old, would be a welcomed upgrade and would get burn and play a vital role on a team that you can pretty much pencil in for the Finals. He would have been loved there. You see the reception those “fans” give the Bird.

• adamsjohn714 - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Birdman is a decent center. In fact, he’s quite a good one. He’s an above average rebounder, great block numbers, low turnovers, average steals, extremely efficient scorer (63.1 TS%), and gets to the line a lot. I’m not sure what else you want out of him, unless you expect your center to get a lot of assists.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

You know who else needs a center: L.A. Lakers.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM

They do have Pau Gasol…

• casualcommenter - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM

My guess is the issue of playing time.

The Heat rarely promise players playing time upfront while they’re being courted (Ray Allen is a notable exception). That’s an issue for bigs since the Heat favor smallball since it opens up their offense with shooters while allowing them to play a swarming, trapping-heavy style of defense that generates turnovers.

So the Heat would probably “like” a traditional big man if they’re forced to play big against certain situations, but they’re not desperate enough to promise a guy like Camby will be a regular member of the rotation.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yeah, I hear you. That is the way the Heat roll. But the issue with that would be PT like you talked about. If that were truly the issue , not only is he backing the best C in the league (arguably), but the best backup C in the league (Asik) as well. Youknowhatimean. Shoulda rolled with the Heat. Who’s in his way? Birdman and Anthony? psssssh

• shockexchange - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Lack of size is the Heat’s achilles heel. They have two rings. However, had the Celtics put them away in Game 7 of the 2013 ECFs or the Spurs hadn’t choked this year, the Heat could easily be ringless.

• miamatt - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

woulda, coulda, shoulda…

• jimeejohnson - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Didn’t.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I’ve heard Camby’s kids live in Houston and he has a home there.

If so, he chose family and kids over the better chance for a ring.

I wish him the best.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Yup, sounds about right. Can’t argue with that one.

Hopefully he gets some real burn though. I’d hate for one of my favorite players to end his career glued to the bench. Maybe they play 2 C’s at a time to make up for their lack of PF’s. Hopefully.

4. cantonbound13 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Another free agent turns down the Heat. Love it!

• dls612 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

and another year those same free agents lose out on winning a ring!

• casualcommenter - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I’m sure Camby is thrilled to leave the Knicks and join a real contender like the Rockets.

• cantonbound13 - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I guess reading is not your strength, or you’re just plain stupid. I never complained about the refs in the Knicks-Pacers series. I actually admitted Indiana was the better team & deserved to win, idiot!

• jimeejohnson - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Knicks suck. Who wouldn’t want out of that craphole.

• dj3garrett - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

@cantonbound

I can tell that you’re one of those fans that hated seeing Miami win it all… These past two seasons must have been hard on you…

• casualcommenter - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

He’s an extremely bitter Knicks fan.

I’m not a Heat fan, but it’s honestly gotten pathetic how whenever I read the comments on this site, his posts are more likely to be about trolling the Heat than actually commenting on his own team.

It was amusing back when he was alleging the NBA referees were favoring the Pacers over the Knicks during the playoffs (“Cuz everybody knows the NBA values the Indiana media market over the New York media market, duh!”), but his schtick has gotten old.

• cantonbound13 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Actually, I am quite fortunate to live a very comfortable life. A team winning an NBA championship does not effect me in any way what so ever. So no, it has not been hard on me at all.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

He’s a loser rooting for losers. At least he’s consistent. Other than that he’s a POS.

• miamatt - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

The Heat never offered Camby a contract.

• cantonbound13 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM

They did last year & if you read the story here he was deciding between the Rockets, Heat & Clippers.

• cantonbound13 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I meant Bulls, not Clippers

5. dylude - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I called this a week ago. His daughters go to school in Houston, and he is an elder NBA vet… Family plus title contention, easy choice.

Who are the Rockets going to waive or send to D league is my next question. Canaan is guaranteed a spot… All these other guys I have no idea how it works without a trade or two.

6. doctordunkenstein - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Have fun riding the bench again this season camby man

7. legend30 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

He’s gonna turn 40 years old during the season. All he’s gonna do this season is keep Dwight Howard seat warm.

• casualcommenter - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

He’s still a good get by Houston.
      A lot of NBA teams have struggled to find 1 solid traditional center – the Rockets have 3, including two who can play starter’s minutes (Howard and Asik) if needed.

• legend30 - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yeah, I like the signing for the Rockets because they have a very young team, and Camby will provide them some much needed leadership.

8. casualcommenter - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I really like this signing. It makes an Asik trade more feasible if a great offer comes in, but otherwise provides insurance in case Howard’s back starts acting up again, or if Asik gets injured.

Can’t disagree with the price either. The team wasn’t going to find a better big-man for a 1-year deal worth just $1.4 million. I’m still not sold about the power-forward situation, but Morey’s done a good job of rounding out the roster.

9. davidly - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It seems that some Heat fans believe choosing to go to the favorite team to repeat as champs is a no brainer. This fails to take so much into consideration, like family, for one thing. Then, there’s the competitive drive to win, which does not necessarily mean going to the world champs. It could also mean going somewhere from whence you might be able to knock off the world champs. As a competitor, which would be more satisfying?

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM

The ability to the Lakers over the years to attract players based on their track record as winners is well known, and that never generated the kind of noise that we hear now that Miami is starting to benefit from the same thing. Maybe Miami’s much shorter time-in-grade is part of this, but the inconsistency in the way some people see the effects of the two teams’ successes is still there.

As a competitor, I’m not sure that getting minutes because my team had no one better would
      necessarily make me feel competitively successful, and it certainly wouldn’t predict a ring to finish my career with if I were in my late 30s.

• davidly - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM

You must have had your ears plugged if you didn’t hear the noise when Malone and Payton went to LA. It still generates “that kind of noise” today, along with criticism of Payton for following it up in Miami.

I don’t share that criticism, just pointing it out.

My comment was not some knee-jerk anti-Heat crap. It was meant as a simple observation of those who liken Camby’s not going to Miami as some kind of fault on his part, because they see him as more likely winning a ring there. I, too, think he would more likely win ring in Miami, but he chose Houston and had good reasons to do so.

And, again, there are plenty of players who prefer the challenge of beating the prohibitive favorite to joining them for a near-forgone conclusion.

10. adk77 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Look for Camby to average 3 pts, 1.5 rebs per outing. Aren’t GMs smart??

• sportsfan18 - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:35 AM

It isn’t always about on court production.

Camby, at 39 and 40 yrs old will be helpful babysitting Dwight and helping him along.

I don’t know Camby at all obviously, but as long as he isn’t just like Kobe, then he has a good chance to help Dwight along as a knowledgeable vet for all of the off court things, practice, how to deal and react to others, the media etc…

Now if Camby can’t help in this role, then he shouldn’t be on the team because the numbers you said are realistic numbers from him so he needs to contribute in others ways, such as in the locker room, which a vet with his yrs in the league and age should be able to do.

Plus Harden is still so young as is Chandler Parsons too. Asik isn’t old either.

Matter of fact, the Rockets are a young team, which is why I think McHale and Morey went after Camby in the first place.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards