Jul 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Today’s Greg Oden update takes us to his recent workout in Indianapolis, where five of the six teams interested in signing the free agent big man were all in attendance.
The takeaways were that Oden looked good, both physically and from a basketball standpoint — which is why so many teams are weighing their current level of interest, and how much they’re willing to commit financially in order to take a risk on the former number one overall pick who has had injuries derail his carer thus far.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Word from multiple witnesses of Greg Oden’s workouts this week: He looks quite lean & is moving quite well. No wonder so many teams in hunt
The next steps: Teams will make formal offers early this week in terms of money & medical care. Then Oden should make choice by week’s end
We’ve said it all along — Oden is looking to get right financially here as much as anything else, so the team that comes up with the biggest money offer is where he’s going to land.
While it’s true he may fare better personally in a lower-key environment where there won’t be as much pressure to succeed, any of the teams interested will do just fine managing that process. And whether it turns out to be Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, Atlanta or Dallas, it appears more and more likely that we’ll see Oden back in the NBA next season.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 12
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2