Jul 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Today’s Greg Oden update takes us to his recent workout in Indianapolis, where five of the six teams interested in signing the free agent big man were all in attendance.
The takeaways were that Oden looked good, both physically and from a basketball standpoint — which is why so many teams are weighing their current level of interest, and how much they’re willing to commit financially in order to take a risk on the former number one overall pick who has had injuries derail his carer thus far.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Word from multiple witnesses of Greg Oden’s workouts this week: He looks quite lean & is moving quite well. No wonder so many teams in hunt
The next steps: Teams will make formal offers early this week in terms of money & medical care. Then Oden should make choice by week’s end
We’ve said it all along — Oden is looking to get right financially here as much as anything else, so the team that comes up with the biggest money offer is where he’s going to land.
While it’s true he may fare better personally in a lower-key environment where there won’t be as much pressure to succeed, any of the teams interested will do just fine managing that process. And whether it turns out to be Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, Atlanta or Dallas, it appears more and more likely that we’ll see Oden back in the NBA next season.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8