Jul 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Today’s Greg Oden update takes us to his recent workout in Indianapolis, where five of the six teams interested in signing the free agent big man were all in attendance.
The takeaways were that Oden looked good, both physically and from a basketball standpoint — which is why so many teams are weighing their current level of interest, and how much they’re willing to commit financially in order to take a risk on the former number one overall pick who has had injuries derail his carer thus far.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Word from multiple witnesses of Greg Oden’s workouts this week: He looks quite lean & is moving quite well. No wonder so many teams in hunt
The next steps: Teams will make formal offers early this week in terms of money & medical care. Then Oden should make choice by week’s end
We’ve said it all along — Oden is looking to get right financially here as much as anything else, so the team that comes up with the biggest money offer is where he’s going to land.
While it’s true he may fare better personally in a lower-key environment where there won’t be as much pressure to succeed, any of the teams interested will do just fine managing that process. And whether it turns out to be Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, Atlanta or Dallas, it appears more and more likely that we’ll see Oden back in the NBA next season.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 26