Jul 28, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
When the Detroit Pistons brought back Chauncey Billups on a two-year contract — $2.5 million a year with a team option on the second year — there were questions about the move in some corners. But in the short term for a growing team, I like it.
Billups doesn’t bring a whole lot on the court any more, but he brings trusted leadership — in what was an increasingly uncomfortable Clippers locker room last season (due to Vinny Del Negro’s quest to appease Chris Paul in hopes of keeping his job) a number of players turned to Billups for advice. He was a go-to guy.
Billups can provide that for Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight and the young core of the Pistons. Which is another reason the Pistons may want to keep Billups around beyond this coming season… but maybe not as a player, reports Vincent Ellis of the Detroit Free Press.
Billups has the business savvy and hoops IQ to be a good front office guy someday, if he wants to go that route.
But for at least a year, he’s going to be a leader in uniform. Then we’ll see.
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 1
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 6
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 30
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10