Jul 28, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Bucks waived Gustavo Ayon a few days ago for reasons unknown, but even a big man with the most basic of skill sets on not much more than a minimum salary deal won’t last on the open market for very long.
Ayon didn’t end up hitting the open market, and was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Hawks, according to multiple reports, including this one from ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst.
Milwaukee signed former Hawk Zaza Pachulia this summer, so Ayon will replace him somewhere on the depth chart of the Atlanta roster, which is a bit crowded in the front court positions.
First round draft pick Lucas Nogueira is expected to be in place, after there were questions of whether or not he would stay in Europe to continue to develop. A report from Sportando.net says that the Hawks are progressing on buyout negotiations with Nogueira’s Spanish team in order to have him immediately available to start the season.
In addition to already having Al Horford, the Hawks added Paul Millsap and Elton Brand, along with Pero Antic and the aforementioned Nogueira. And now, Ayon, who averaged 4.3 points and 4.9 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game for the Bucks last season.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48