Jul 28, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Bucks waived Gustavo Ayon a few days ago for reasons unknown, but even a big man with the most basic of skill sets on not much more than a minimum salary deal won’t last on the open market for very long.
Ayon didn’t end up hitting the open market, and was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Hawks, according to multiple reports, including this one from ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst.
Milwaukee signed former Hawk Zaza Pachulia this summer, so Ayon will replace him somewhere on the depth chart of the Atlanta roster, which is a bit crowded in the front court positions.
First round draft pick Lucas Nogueira is expected to be in place, after there were questions of whether or not he would stay in Europe to continue to develop. A report from Sportando.net says that the Hawks are progressing on buyout negotiations with Nogueira’s Spanish team in order to have him immediately available to start the season.
In addition to already having Al Horford, the Hawks added Paul Millsap and Elton Brand, along with Pero Antic and the aforementioned Nogueira. And now, Ayon, who averaged 4.3 points and 4.9 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game for the Bucks last season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18