Jul 27, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Delonte West had a fairly productive eight seasons in the NBA in terms of his on-court contributions, but personal issues which stemmed from his battle with a bipolar disorder often made him more trouble than he was worth from a personality standpoint in the locker room.
That was the reason the Mavericks parted ways with West before last season began, and whatever problems he was blamed for in Dallas kept him out of the league for all of last season.
West tried to show he was ready to return with a stint in the D-League back in March, and with no negative reports being filed on his behavior while there, it appears a couple of teams are ready to take a serious look at bringing him back next season.
The New York Knicks and the Memphis Grizzlies are on the lookout for a backup point guard and according to a source close to the situation, both teams have inquired about the services of Delonte West.
The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, says talks between the two teams have ramped up recently, however they are termed as being “preliminary at this point” with no offers presented as of yet.
Both teams shall remain in contact with West as they continue to survey the market.
In eight games for the D-League’s Texas Legends, West averaged 10.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists, and 2.2 steals in 28.4 minutes per game. But again, we know West can still play — it’s more about his personality fit with a given team than anything else.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)