Jul 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
When the Spurs pulled the qualifying offer they had out to Gary Neal, it made him an unrestricted free agent.
He wasn’t expected to stay on the market for very long, and now it appears as though he could be scooped up as soon as today.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Hearing: Bucks closing in on completing signing of Gary Neal after sources say Neal’s agent David Bauman no longer in negotiations w/Hawks
MIL & ATL were top two pursuers after Spurs withdrew qualifying offer to make Neal unrestricted free agent. Deal w/Bucks now expected today
Although Neal is a nice player (depending on how the details of the contract will shake out), as with all of Milwaukee’s offseason moves, this one doesn’t seem to fit any particular plan.
Neal averaged 9.5 points in 21.8 minutes per game for the Spurs during the regular season, and played 18.1 minutes per game for them in 21 postsason appearances last year.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85