Jul 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
When the Spurs pulled the qualifying offer they had out to Gary Neal, it made him an unrestricted free agent.
He wasn’t expected to stay on the market for very long, and now it appears as though he could be scooped up as soon as today.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Hearing: Bucks closing in on completing signing of Gary Neal after sources say Neal’s agent David Bauman no longer in negotiations w/Hawks
MIL & ATL were top two pursuers after Spurs withdrew qualifying offer to make Neal unrestricted free agent. Deal w/Bucks now expected today
Although Neal is a nice player (depending on how the details of the contract will shake out), as with all of Milwaukee’s offseason moves, this one doesn’t seem to fit any particular plan.
Neal averaged 9.5 points in 21.8 minutes per game for the Spurs during the regular season, and played 18.1 minutes per game for them in 21 postsason appearances last year.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16