Jul 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
When the Spurs pulled the qualifying offer they had out to Gary Neal, it made him an unrestricted free agent.
He wasn’t expected to stay on the market for very long, and now it appears as though he could be scooped up as soon as today.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Hearing: Bucks closing in on completing signing of Gary Neal after sources say Neal’s agent David Bauman no longer in negotiations w/Hawks
MIL & ATL were top two pursuers after Spurs withdrew qualifying offer to make Neal unrestricted free agent. Deal w/Bucks now expected today
Although Neal is a nice player (depending on how the details of the contract will shake out), as with all of Milwaukee’s offseason moves, this one doesn’t seem to fit any particular plan.
Neal averaged 9.5 points in 21.8 minutes per game for the Spurs during the regular season, and played 18.1 minutes per game for them in 21 postsason appearances last year.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 3
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 4
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 28
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0