Jul 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
When the Spurs pulled the qualifying offer they had out to Gary Neal, it made him an unrestricted free agent.
He wasn’t expected to stay on the market for very long, and now it appears as though he could be scooped up as soon as today.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Hearing: Bucks closing in on completing signing of Gary Neal after sources say Neal’s agent David Bauman no longer in negotiations w/Hawks
MIL & ATL were top two pursuers after Spurs withdrew qualifying offer to make Neal unrestricted free agent. Deal w/Bucks now expected today
Although Neal is a nice player (depending on how the details of the contract will shake out), as with all of Milwaukee’s offseason moves, this one doesn’t seem to fit any particular plan.
Neal averaged 9.5 points in 21.8 minutes per game for the Spurs during the regular season, and played 18.1 minutes per game for them in 21 postsason appearances last year.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 15
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 40
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19