Reggie Lewis blocks four of Michael Jordan’s shots in the same game (VIDEO)

Jul 27, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

Reggie Lewis was the future of the Celtics franchise, an All-Star player on a statistical track to the Hall of Fame after six NBA seasons who was supposed to transition Boston from the Larry Bird era into its next phase of greatness.

He passed away tragically at age 27, twenty years ago today.

The video clip above gives you a glimpse of the unique skill set Lewis brought to basketball — he is the only player to block four of Michael Jordan’s shots in a single game.

Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston did a profile of Lewis recently, and here’s what Jordan told her about trying to score against Lewis:

I called Jordan earlier this week to see if he had any recollections of a young Lewis blocking him four times.

“Oh, I remember it well,” Jordan laughed. “He had my number that particular night.”

“I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn’t back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

“He shocked me a little bit.”

“His length confused me,” Jordan conceded. “Every time I thought I had him beat, he’d recover and get up on me. When you have the skills to break someone down on defense and you can’t, it makes you tentative offensively.”

MacMullan also points out just how Lewis was shaping up to be one of the all-time greats:

By the time he died, he was one of six players who, from 1988-93, posted at least 7,500 points, 1,500 rebounds, 1,000 assists and 500 steals. The other five — Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone and Chris Mullin — are all Hall of Famers.

Comcast SportsNet will debut a 90-minute documentary reflecting on Lewis’ life on Sunday at 8 p.m.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Golly jee, those blocks were just plain gangbusters.

2. loubearkane - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I remember watching Reggie play , he was a long 6’7 small forward. What’s sad is when he died the rumors ran that cocaine caused his death. Another athlete that was taken to soon that could of been one of the greats….

3. whitey11177 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I think I actually remember this game. It was on NBC. I watched it at my grandma’s house. I remember the Bulls were ahead and then the Celtics made a big comeback. It was right at the time I started watching basketball. Hard to believe that was 22 years ago.

4. jadaruler - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

The Bias and Lewis deaths were both gut wrenching. Its shame that they didn’t get the chance to that the reins from Bird.

5. saint1997 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I’ve heard about Bias but not about Lewis – could someone excuse my ignorance and explain how he died?

• richyrichinthisbitch - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

@saint1997 he collapsed while playing a pickup game, and it turned out he had an underlying heart condition

• cured76 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

He just collapsed one day while shooting hoops at their practice facility. He was a really good player but he never said a word to anyone. He was a really quiet guy and went under the radar because of that. Even a Laker fan like me has to tip my hat to how good he was. What, 10 years after Len Bias? So sad.

6. antistratfordian - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I remember this game. And to think this year some idiots were saying, “LeBron is overrated! Jordan would never allow the same player to block him twice in a game!”

7. dadawg77 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Heart issues forgot the exact issue but think it was the same disease as Hank Gathers.

8. anhdazman - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

They listed Reggie Lewis at 6’7. Scottie Pippen is also listed 6’7. If people paid close attention, MJ was a good 3 inches shorter than these guys whenever he stood close to them. MJ was listed at 6’6, but he’s closer to 6’3. He wasn’t 6’6.

That’s what made Jordan even more amazing. You don’t believe me, pull up the old videos and pictures.

• 3xchamps - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

First off, theres no need to embellish anything about Jordan. Shaving 2 inches off of him doesnt make him any greater in my eyes. He was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. Second, Scottie was 6’8″, Jordan was 6’6″. guess you never saw pics of him and Scottie, or him and Kobe. Oh wait, you must think Kobe is 6’4″ also

9. 00maltliquor - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:39 AM

That’s right, your hero got owned

10. louhudson23 - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Lewis,like the five HoF players listed,had a well developed and versatile skill set. Defended well,rebounded well,shot well from 3 and mid range and had a nice drive game with either hand….and he worked hard to get better each season….

11. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Len Bias and Reggie Lewis…what could have been.

Still painful to think back about their deaths…both could have been avoided.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches