Jul 27, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
When word came down Saturday that the trade bringing Luis Scola to the Pacers had gone final I tweeted that I really liked the Pacers lineup — they had maybe the best starting five in the NBA last year, they will now add Danny Granger to that and bring Lance Stephenson, C.J. Watson, Scola and Chris Copeland off the bench. I think they are serious title contenders.
A few people shot back that Paul George and Danny Granger haven’t meshed all that well yet and wondered how the return of a guy who was the team’s leading scorer two years ago is really going to work out.
Paul George says just fine, thank you very much. Here is what he told Hoopsworld in a recent interview:
“Even my second year in the league and my rookie year, we were still able to play off one another,” George said. “I didn’t have as big of a role as I do now, but we still did a good job playing off one another….
“We’re positioned really well,” George told HOOPSWORLD. “The only thing we really needed was the experience, and with everyone coming back together again, there’s no doubt in mind that we should win a championship.”
The question is this — can the Pacers include a powerful offensive player who can lift them up from 19th best offense in the NBA (on points per possession) without losing their defense? Have George and Granger matured enough to blend? I think the answer is yes, but we will see next season. The East is going to be difficult at the top this year.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7