Jul 26, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
If you know anything about Steve Nash, it’s that he is a soccer fanatic. He hosts a summer soccer series that draws big names from basketball and the European football worlds, plus he is the co-owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps of the MLS.
And now he gets his dream:
To try out for Italian soccer power Inter Milan.
The team is in the states and Nash will “try out” with them July 30, he told the AP.
“It’s a dream come true to get a chance to try out, not just to try out but to take the field with Inter Milan, one of the great, storied franchises in professional sports,” Nash said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I feel like a little kid.”
Tournament officials said the tryout will take place in New Jersey, two days before Inter Milan opens its portion of the (Guinness International Champions Cup tournament) in Indianapolis against Chelsea. And Nash expects to be feeling a fairly ramped-up level of nervousness when he laces up his cleats for that training session.
“It’s going to be a lot higher than it is playing basketball, for sure,” Nash said. “I still get nervous for basketball games from time to time. When I get out on the court, I don’t get nervous, but before. To go out there with guys that I look up to and watch play, it’s definitely going to raise the nerves. I’ll be really nervous and really excited.”
I feel safe in saying that Nash will not make Inter Milan and will be back with the Lakers next year, trying to figure out how to cross the ball into Kobe Bryant in front of the net.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 17
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 36
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 6
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 60
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2