Jul 26, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
If you know anything about Steve Nash, it’s that he is a soccer fanatic. He hosts a summer soccer series that draws big names from basketball and the European football worlds, plus he is the co-owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps of the MLS.
And now he gets his dream:
To try out for Italian soccer power Inter Milan.
The team is in the states and Nash will “try out” with them July 30, he told the AP.
“It’s a dream come true to get a chance to try out, not just to try out but to take the field with Inter Milan, one of the great, storied franchises in professional sports,” Nash said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I feel like a little kid.”
Tournament officials said the tryout will take place in New Jersey, two days before Inter Milan opens its portion of the (Guinness International Champions Cup tournament) in Indianapolis against Chelsea. And Nash expects to be feeling a fairly ramped-up level of nervousness when he laces up his cleats for that training session.
“It’s going to be a lot higher than it is playing basketball, for sure,” Nash said. “I still get nervous for basketball games from time to time. When I get out on the court, I don’t get nervous, but before. To go out there with guys that I look up to and watch play, it’s definitely going to raise the nerves. I’ll be really nervous and really excited.”
I feel safe in saying that Nash will not make Inter Milan and will be back with the Lakers next year, trying to figure out how to cross the ball into Kobe Bryant in front of the net.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61