Jul 26, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
How big an extension would you give DeMarcus Cousins?
If you are paying on potential, he’s a max player no doubt. And if the Kings don’t give him the max this summer another team almost certainly will next summer when he is a restricted free agent. Then the Kings will match it and all that will be created is some ill will it didn’t get worked out before.
So it’s going to be a max or near max deal, and the Kings and Cousins agent (Dan Fegan) are going to sit down and talk about it soon, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee.
Also expect the Kings to use their one five-year rookie contract extension on Cousins, so the offer will be five years around $80 million. The only questions are around things like player opt-outs (or team ones, but don’t bet on that).
Cousins spent the last week at the Team USA mini-camp in Las Vegas. He reportedly performed much better than the year before (when veterans complained he “fouled the s— out of everybody” although in the big public exhibition game Thursday he was an unimpressive 2-of-7 from the floor.
Cousins averaged 17.7 points on 46.5 points a game last season with 9.9 rebounds a game. The new Kings management has done nothing but speak highly of Cousins and praise him. But what happens the first time no-nonsense coach Mike Malone — who has a fiery temper himself at times — gets on Cousins is going to be interesting.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10