Jul 26, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
How big an extension would you give DeMarcus Cousins?
If you are paying on potential, he’s a max player no doubt. And if the Kings don’t give him the max this summer another team almost certainly will next summer when he is a restricted free agent. Then the Kings will match it and all that will be created is some ill will it didn’t get worked out before.
So it’s going to be a max or near max deal, and the Kings and Cousins agent (Dan Fegan) are going to sit down and talk about it soon, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee.
Also expect the Kings to use their one five-year rookie contract extension on Cousins, so the offer will be five years around $80 million. The only questions are around things like player opt-outs (or team ones, but don’t bet on that).
Cousins spent the last week at the Team USA mini-camp in Las Vegas. He reportedly performed much better than the year before (when veterans complained he “fouled the s— out of everybody” although in the big public exhibition game Thursday he was an unimpressive 2-of-7 from the floor.
Cousins averaged 17.7 points on 46.5 points a game last season with 9.9 rebounds a game. The new Kings management has done nothing but speak highly of Cousins and praise him. But what happens the first time no-nonsense coach Mike Malone — who has a fiery temper himself at times — gets on Cousins is going to be interesting.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18