Jul 26, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
How big an extension would you give DeMarcus Cousins?
If you are paying on potential, he’s a max player no doubt. And if the Kings don’t give him the max this summer another team almost certainly will next summer when he is a restricted free agent. Then the Kings will match it and all that will be created is some ill will it didn’t get worked out before.
So it’s going to be a max or near max deal, and the Kings and Cousins agent (Dan Fegan) are going to sit down and talk about it soon, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee.
Also expect the Kings to use their one five-year rookie contract extension on Cousins, so the offer will be five years around $80 million. The only questions are around things like player opt-outs (or team ones, but don’t bet on that).
Cousins spent the last week at the Team USA mini-camp in Las Vegas. He reportedly performed much better than the year before (when veterans complained he “fouled the s— out of everybody” although in the big public exhibition game Thursday he was an unimpressive 2-of-7 from the floor.
Cousins averaged 17.7 points on 46.5 points a game last season with 9.9 rebounds a game. The new Kings management has done nothing but speak highly of Cousins and praise him. But what happens the first time no-nonsense coach Mike Malone — who has a fiery temper himself at times — gets on Cousins is going to be interesting.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6