Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EST
It was a little surprising that Gerald Henderson was still on the market this late into free agency — he showed he could score (15.5 points a game last season), he’s athletic and he’s efficient. He would make a good utility guard for a number of teams.
Yet the Bobcats’ restricted free agent was finding it hard to get traction in the market, mostly because teams rightfully thought the Bobcats would match any reasonable offer.
So, the Bobcats and Henderson worked out a three-year, $18 million offer, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The re-signing of Henderson – one of the most consistent and talented players for the fledgling franchise – was the top priority for the franchise to secure for new coach Steve Clifford.
After details are ironed out over the weekend, an agreement is expected to be signed early next week, league sources said.
This is a good deal for both sides. Henderson will be featured by the rebuilding Bobcats and the team gets a quality scoring wing at a fair price. If you have a fantasy team next season, Henderson can be a value pick.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 2
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 9
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 11
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49