Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EST
It was a little surprising that Gerald Henderson was still on the market this late into free agency — he showed he could score (15.5 points a game last season), he’s athletic and he’s efficient. He would make a good utility guard for a number of teams.
Yet the Bobcats’ restricted free agent was finding it hard to get traction in the market, mostly because teams rightfully thought the Bobcats would match any reasonable offer.
So, the Bobcats and Henderson worked out a three-year, $18 million offer, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The re-signing of Henderson – one of the most consistent and talented players for the fledgling franchise – was the top priority for the franchise to secure for new coach Steve Clifford.
After details are ironed out over the weekend, an agreement is expected to be signed early next week, league sources said.
This is a good deal for both sides. Henderson will be featured by the rebuilding Bobcats and the team gets a quality scoring wing at a fair price. If you have a fantasy team next season, Henderson can be a value pick.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13