Jul 26, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
It will happen twice during the regular season — but it could happen before that, during an Oct. 23 preseason game, reports CSNNE.com.
Of course, this is preseason, so it is certainly possible that neither player will make the trip. Veterans often sit out preseason games, especially one such as this where the return could be emotional.
Pierce and Garnett are iconic Celtics but agreed to a trade from Boston to Brooklyn this offseason (KG had a no-trade clause). The Celtics have embarked on a post “big three era” rebuilding project — just don’t call it tanking.
KG and PP make Brooklyn interesting as a potential contender. If everything goes right — if the older Garnett and Pierce are healthy come the playoffs, if Deron Williams returns to his Utah form, if Jason Kidd can coach — they are a real threat in the East. But that’s a lot of “ifs.”
Brooklyn and Boston actually will meet twice preseason — the Nets will host the Celtics on October 15.
But the real emotional return will come during the regular season. We should find out the date for that in the coming days when the NBA schedule for next season is released.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3