Jul 26, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
It will happen twice during the regular season — but it could happen before that, during an Oct. 23 preseason game, reports CSNNE.com.
Of course, this is preseason, so it is certainly possible that neither player will make the trip. Veterans often sit out preseason games, especially one such as this where the return could be emotional.
Pierce and Garnett are iconic Celtics but agreed to a trade from Boston to Brooklyn this offseason (KG had a no-trade clause). The Celtics have embarked on a post “big three era” rebuilding project — just don’t call it tanking.
KG and PP make Brooklyn interesting as a potential contender. If everything goes right — if the older Garnett and Pierce are healthy come the playoffs, if Deron Williams returns to his Utah form, if Jason Kidd can coach — they are a real threat in the East. But that’s a lot of “ifs.”
Brooklyn and Boston actually will meet twice preseason — the Nets will host the Celtics on October 15.
But the real emotional return will come during the regular season. We should find out the date for that in the coming days when the NBA schedule for next season is released.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36