Jul 26, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
It will happen twice during the regular season — but it could happen before that, during an Oct. 23 preseason game, reports CSNNE.com.
Of course, this is preseason, so it is certainly possible that neither player will make the trip. Veterans often sit out preseason games, especially one such as this where the return could be emotional.
Pierce and Garnett are iconic Celtics but agreed to a trade from Boston to Brooklyn this offseason (KG had a no-trade clause). The Celtics have embarked on a post “big three era” rebuilding project — just don’t call it tanking.
KG and PP make Brooklyn interesting as a potential contender. If everything goes right — if the older Garnett and Pierce are healthy come the playoffs, if Deron Williams returns to his Utah form, if Jason Kidd can coach — they are a real threat in the East. But that’s a lot of “ifs.”
Brooklyn and Boston actually will meet twice preseason — the Nets will host the Celtics on October 15.
But the real emotional return will come during the regular season. We should find out the date for that in the coming days when the NBA schedule for next season is released.
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 9
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7