Jul 26, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
It will happen twice during the regular season — but it could happen before that, during an Oct. 23 preseason game, reports CSNNE.com.
Of course, this is preseason, so it is certainly possible that neither player will make the trip. Veterans often sit out preseason games, especially one such as this where the return could be emotional.
Pierce and Garnett are iconic Celtics but agreed to a trade from Boston to Brooklyn this offseason (KG had a no-trade clause). The Celtics have embarked on a post “big three era” rebuilding project — just don’t call it tanking.
KG and PP make Brooklyn interesting as a potential contender. If everything goes right — if the older Garnett and Pierce are healthy come the playoffs, if Deron Williams returns to his Utah form, if Jason Kidd can coach — they are a real threat in the East. But that’s a lot of “ifs.”
Brooklyn and Boston actually will meet twice preseason — the Nets will host the Celtics on October 15.
But the real emotional return will come during the regular season. We should find out the date for that in the coming days when the NBA schedule for next season is released.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 3
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 30
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 48
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28