Karl Malone thought the Jazz threw him a birthday parade before he even played for them (They didn’t)

Jul 26, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT

Karl Malone grew up in the country and played at the relatively at small Louisiana Tech before the Jazz drafted him with the 13th pick in 1985, so he was a little wet behind the ears at that point.

Steve Luhm of The Salt Lake Tribune:

His first visit to Utah coincided with the state’s Pioneer Day celebration and he accepted then-coach Frank Layden’s invitation to ride on the team’s float in the Days of ’47 parade.

Initially, Layden told Malone the parade was being held because of his 22nd birthday.

“That’s no urban legend,” Malone said. “That’s the truth. … I was waving like a [beauty] pageant queen. If there were cellphones back then, I would have called my mom and said, ‘You won’t believe it. All of Utah is here for me.’ ”

When the parade ended, Malone told Layden it was “amazing” so many people helped him celebrate his birthday. His new coach laughed and said, “I can’t believe you fell for that one.”

I hope Malone at least enjoyed that parade, because the Jazz certainly didn’t throw him another one to celebrate a championship (zing!).

Above all, I’m just glad Malone is working with the Jazz again, because it means we get stories like this. Read the rest of Luhm’s article to learn what Malone buying a mule means, why Derrick Favors rates as just a ‘9’ on Malone’s scale and how Malone feels about the state of Utah.

1. wwttww - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

3 kids of Karl’s waved back during that parade.

2. 00maltliquor - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Dammit, why’d I think there was a video to this! I’m so disappointed now, dang lack of ’80s technology! That would have been too funny.

3. xxakshunxx - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Didn’t I just read this story on this site a couple days ago??

4. dezglobal - Jul 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Poor guy, that blows lol… I woulda let that story die.

5. redbearwoodall - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

If they hadn’t had to go up against the GOAT in his prime, the Jazz would’ve had two championships. No matter how good you are at picking personnel and convincing your free agents to stay (forget attracting any decent free agents in Utah), a lot of what goes into winning a championship depends on luck. Don’t fault the Jazz for never getting Malone a ring, they did everything physically possible short of moving to a big market to attract FAs. Even then, there’s still that elephant in Chicago to get past.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches