Jul 26, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Newly minted, soon to be inducted Hall of Famer Gary Payton is a Damian Lillard fan.
“I like Damian Lillard because he’s from Oakland, California, and he’s a phenomenal basketball player,” Payton told ProBasketballTalk last January. “He should be the rookie of the year, he’s playing very well right now for Portland and I love his game.”
Now arguably the two best point guards ever to come out of Oakland may get together this summer and work out, tweets Mike Tokito of the Oregonian.
Working with Payton would be a very good thing for Lillard — his challenges are not on the offensive end of the court, rather it is his defense. Payton, “The Glove”, is headed to the Hall of Fame in part because of his defense. Granted, the physical, in-your-face, contact-filled defense Payton used on Michael Jordan would draw foul calls now, but there are still techniques and tactics Payton could pass along.
Payton worked with John Wall last summer, particularly on his jump shot and when to use it. At the end of last season, when Wall finally got healthy, his jumper looked good.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10