Jul 26, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Newly minted, soon to be inducted Hall of Famer Gary Payton is a Damian Lillard fan.
“I like Damian Lillard because he’s from Oakland, California, and he’s a phenomenal basketball player,” Payton told ProBasketballTalk last January. “He should be the rookie of the year, he’s playing very well right now for Portland and I love his game.”
Now arguably the two best point guards ever to come out of Oakland may get together this summer and work out, tweets Mike Tokito of the Oregonian.
Asked Lillard about working w/Gary Payton. "I’m sure I will. The summer is not even close to being over. Hopefully, we will."—
Mike Tokito (@mtokito) July 26, 2013
Working with Payton would be a very good thing for Lillard — his challenges are not on the offensive end of the court, rather it is his defense. Payton, “The Glove”, is headed to the Hall of Fame in part because of his defense. Granted, the physical, in-your-face, contact-filled defense Payton used on Michael Jordan would draw foul calls now, but there are still techniques and tactics Payton could pass along.
Payton worked with John Wall last summer, particularly on his jump shot and when to use it. At the end of last season, when Wall finally got healthy, his jumper looked good.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6