Jul 25, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than we like to debate In-n-Out vs. Five Guys (it’s In-n-Out, obviously)….
• Former No. 3 overall pick Adam Morrison, considered one of the great draft busts (he was a great college shooter who never adjusted well to the longer, more athletic defenders and contested shots of the NBA) has retired from professional basketball and is joining the Gonzaga coaching staff as a student assistant. Morrison still made $16 million and he owns a championship ring, so don’t feel too bad for him.
• That 2006 draft was the one with Andrea Bargnani at the top, LaMarcus Aldridge two, Morrison three, Tyrus Thomas four and Shelden Williams five. Farther on down the board: Rudy Gay (8), J.J. Redick (11), Rajon Rondo (21), and Paul Millsap (47). Talent evaluation is not an exact science.
• Shaq’s Beverly Hills mansion, most recently owned by a Japanese pop sensation, is back on the market. It has a basketball court out back with a Superman “S” on it.
• Working as an NBA writer desensitizes you to tall people, suddenly a 6’9″ guy doesn’t seem all that big. A handful of guys still have you shaking your head saying “people can be that large?” Yao Ming was one of those guys. Here he is in a collection of photos making even tall people look short.
• The Bucks have waived big man Bucks Gustavo Ayon. Don’t be shocked if another team picks him up.
• New coach Brad Stevens parroted Danny Ainge with the “Celtics do not tank” line. As I’ve said, it comes down to how you define tanking.
• Shawn Kemp thinks Seattle is going to get an NBA team. I think they are at the front of the line, but there are no teams on the immediate horizon to move.
• Samardo Samuels has signed with Olimpia Milano in Italy for next season.
• Pelicans guard Pierre Jackson will play with ASVEL Basket in France next season.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7