Jul 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Tornike Shengelia was not going to play a big role for the Nets this season — he played in just 19 games last season and didn’t exactly impress at Summer League in Orlando where he averaged 7.6 points a game on 35 percent shooting.
But any he hope he had of contributing much likely just went out the window.
The Nets announced he will have surgery to repair the meniscus in his left knee. This was an injury suffered while working out with the Georgian national team.
The timeline for Shengelia’s recovery will be announced after the surgery. Suffice to say he’s not going to be ready to go opening night and could potentially miss the entire season.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4