Jul 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Tornike Shengelia was not going to play a big role for the Nets this season — he played in just 19 games last season and didn’t exactly impress at Summer League in Orlando where he averaged 7.6 points a game on 35 percent shooting.
But any he hope he had of contributing much likely just went out the window.
The Nets announced he will have surgery to repair the meniscus in his left knee. This was an injury suffered while working out with the Georgian national team.
The timeline for Shengelia’s recovery will be announced after the surgery. Suffice to say he’s not going to be ready to go opening night and could potentially miss the entire season.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 17
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 51
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19