Jul 25, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
We can list the reasons the Oklahoma City Thunder picked up Derek Fisher on a one-year deal: veteran leadership in the locker room, he shot 35.1 percent from three last season, they needed a shooter of some kind after losing out on Mike Miller, and they had a shortage of guys with shaved heads on the roster.
Another reason — he’s inexpensive.
The CBA calls for the NBA to pick up $515,000 of Fisher’s $1.4 million contract because he has played in the NBA more than three years and signed a minimum deal (the league picks up what would be the cost of a minimum deal for a two-year player). So the Thunder pay a little under $900,000 out of pocket and don’t flirt with the luxury tax.
The rest is picked up by the league. The other 29 owners are subsidizing Fisher on the Thunder. And it isn’t just Fisher, it is any veteran who signs for the league minimum, such as Kenyon Martin with the Knicks among others.
As for the Thunder remember, the league also picked up the tab for part of Kevin Durant’s max salary.
Derek Fisher on the Thunder isn’t a game changer. In fact, if Scott Brooks plays Fisher in front of Reggie Jackson in the point guard rotation there will be a few articles about that at PBT. Jackson showed in the playoffs he is ready to break out. And with the lack of moves made by the Thunder this summer the team is going to need Jackson and Jeremy Lamb to step up this year. Fisher is just insurance on the bench.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54