Jul 25, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
They get a quality point guard — 11.6 points and 6.6 assists a game, plays smart, had a PER of 18.2 and shot 52 percent from three last year — for a reasonable price (four years, $29 million). Remember last season with the failed Darren Collison experiment in Dallas? They had to bring in Derek Fisher at one point. The position was a mess for Dallas. Now with Calderon, Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis they are in the playoff conversation.
Now, we’ve added someone who can run a pick and roll with (Nowitzki) and know how to run it that knows how to use a screen. I’ll tell you something else, I was shocked when people thought we signed a bad deal with Jose Calderon because hey, the guy shot 50 percent from three. The market for guys who can catch and shoot threes and do nothing else was higher than what we paid for Jose. He knows how to play point guard. He knows how to get Dirk the ball. He knows the game. Never turns it over. Literally, I was like what are people thinking. He may not be the best defender, but it’s not like he was replacing a great defender. I was really surprised by the response to Jose. I think he’s going to make us a much better team.
He’s right about Calderon.
I think in the short term this season Dallas is one of those teams in the middle — they will finish somewhere between the 7 and 10 seeds. They will not be bad, the West is deep, but they are not special. The question is in future years how they lure a free agent or make a trade to get a guy who can dramatically improve them.
But Calderon will fit with any of those guys. People who haven’t watched him the last couple years underestimate him. He’ll play well for Dallas.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 22
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 34
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 26
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 56
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12