Jul 25, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
They get a quality point guard — 11.6 points and 6.6 assists a game, plays smart, had a PER of 18.2 and shot 52 percent from three last year — for a reasonable price (four years, $29 million). Remember last season with the failed Darren Collison experiment in Dallas? They had to bring in Derek Fisher at one point. The position was a mess for Dallas. Now with Calderon, Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis they are in the playoff conversation.
Now, we’ve added someone who can run a pick and roll with (Nowitzki) and know how to run it that knows how to use a screen. I’ll tell you something else, I was shocked when people thought we signed a bad deal with Jose Calderon because hey, the guy shot 50 percent from three. The market for guys who can catch and shoot threes and do nothing else was higher than what we paid for Jose. He knows how to play point guard. He knows how to get Dirk the ball. He knows the game. Never turns it over. Literally, I was like what are people thinking. He may not be the best defender, but it’s not like he was replacing a great defender. I was really surprised by the response to Jose. I think he’s going to make us a much better team.
He’s right about Calderon.
I think in the short term this season Dallas is one of those teams in the middle — they will finish somewhere between the 7 and 10 seeds. They will not be bad, the West is deep, but they are not special. The question is in future years how they lure a free agent or make a trade to get a guy who can dramatically improve them.
But Calderon will fit with any of those guys. People who haven’t watched him the last couple years underestimate him. He’ll play well for Dallas.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29