Jul 25, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
As Orlando continues a rebuilding project which appears to be coming along ahead of schedule, the team has added a veteran presence to its locker room that should help with developing the youngsters into true professionals.
The Magic announced the signing of Ronnie Price on Thursday, for what is believed to be a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum.
“We’re excited to welcome Ronnie and his family to the Magic organization,” said Magic GM Rob Hennigan, via the official release. “We believe Ronnie’s toughness and competitive spirit, along with the varied experiences he’s gained throughout his career, will impact the development of our team in a positive way.”
Translation: This particular move is about personality and locker room culture more than it is about the product on the court.
Orlando is going to play its first round draft pick Victor Oladipo heavy minutes at the guard spots, and while Price is a capable backup who is competent enough on both ends of the floor, he’s nowhere near a game-changer at either end who will bring victories to the team all by himself.
This was about rounding out the roster with a quality individual at a low contract number, and by bringing in Price, the Magic succeeded on both counts.
Entering his ninth NBA season, Price will be playing for his fifth franchise. He averaged 2.7 points and 1.9 assists in 13.1 minutes per game for the Blazers last season.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 0
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)