Jul 25, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
As Orlando continues a rebuilding project which appears to be coming along ahead of schedule, the team has added a veteran presence to its locker room that should help with developing the youngsters into true professionals.
The Magic announced the signing of Ronnie Price on Thursday, for what is believed to be a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum.
“We’re excited to welcome Ronnie and his family to the Magic organization,” said Magic GM Rob Hennigan, via the official release. “We believe Ronnie’s toughness and competitive spirit, along with the varied experiences he’s gained throughout his career, will impact the development of our team in a positive way.”
Translation: This particular move is about personality and locker room culture more than it is about the product on the court.
Orlando is going to play its first round draft pick Victor Oladipo heavy minutes at the guard spots, and while Price is a capable backup who is competent enough on both ends of the floor, he’s nowhere near a game-changer at either end who will bring victories to the team all by himself.
This was about rounding out the roster with a quality individual at a low contract number, and by bringing in Price, the Magic succeeded on both counts.
Entering his ninth NBA season, Price will be playing for his fifth franchise. He averaged 2.7 points and 1.9 assists in 13.1 minutes per game for the Blazers last season.
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 11
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 46
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 38
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 80
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 18
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 36
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48