Jul 25, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving, here is the sign that you have really arrived.
We told you this was coming, but now it is official: Irving will be the guy on the cover of NBA Live 14, EA Sports announced Thursday.
EA announced a couple of years back they were returning with the Live series, hoping to challenge the NBA 2K franchise, but they postponed the launch for a year. This time they are ready to go. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks full five-on-five.
This is big for Irving. He is getting close to entering the stratosphere of the most elite players in the NBA and landing on the NBA Live cover is just the latest sign. Next season he and the Cavaliers could and should make the playoffs in the East (with or without an Andrew Bynum contribution) then it will build from there. In a few years he will pass Chris Paul as the best point guard in the game, and opportunities and pressure will mount.
This is just the latest sign of where he is headed.
Here is the first trailer for the game, released a month ago.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 21
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13