Jul 25, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving, here is the sign that you have really arrived.
We told you this was coming, but now it is official: Irving will be the guy on the cover of NBA Live 14, EA Sports announced Thursday.
EA announced a couple of years back they were returning with the Live series, hoping to challenge the NBA 2K franchise, but they postponed the launch for a year. This time they are ready to go. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks full five-on-five.
This is big for Irving. He is getting close to entering the stratosphere of the most elite players in the NBA and landing on the NBA Live cover is just the latest sign. Next season he and the Cavaliers could and should make the playoffs in the East (with or without an Andrew Bynum contribution) then it will build from there. In a few years he will pass Chris Paul as the best point guard in the game, and opportunities and pressure will mount.
This is just the latest sign of where he is headed.
Here is the first trailer for the game, released a month ago.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11