Jul 25, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Kyrie Irving, here is the sign that you have really arrived.
We told you this was coming, but now it is official: Irving will be the guy on the cover of NBA Live 14, EA Sports announced Thursday.
EA announced a couple of years back they were returning with the Live series, hoping to challenge the NBA 2K franchise, but they postponed the launch for a year. This time they are ready to go. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks full five-on-five.
This is big for Irving. He is getting close to entering the stratosphere of the most elite players in the NBA and landing on the NBA Live cover is just the latest sign. Next season he and the Cavaliers could and should make the playoffs in the East (with or without an Andrew Bynum contribution) then it will build from there. In a few years he will pass Chris Paul as the best point guard in the game, and opportunities and pressure will mount.
This is just the latest sign of where he is headed.
Here is the first trailer for the game, released a month ago.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 14
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 7
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16