Jul 25, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving, here is the sign that you have really arrived.
We told you this was coming, but now it is official: Irving will be the guy on the cover of NBA Live 14, EA Sports announced Thursday.
EA announced a couple of years back they were returning with the Live series, hoping to challenge the NBA 2K franchise, but they postponed the launch for a year. This time they are ready to go. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks full five-on-five.
This is big for Irving. He is getting close to entering the stratosphere of the most elite players in the NBA and landing on the NBA Live cover is just the latest sign. Next season he and the Cavaliers could and should make the playoffs in the East (with or without an Andrew Bynum contribution) then it will build from there. In a few years he will pass Chris Paul as the best point guard in the game, and opportunities and pressure will mount.
This is just the latest sign of where he is headed.
Here is the first trailer for the game, released a month ago.
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 0
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 29
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 12