Jul 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
That didn’t seem to be a great excuse considering the late date (July 21) that the organization received word that Hill wouldn’t be participating, and program chairman Jerry Colangelo said he’d want to find out what led to Hill’s decision before making a determination on his future chances to make the team.
Hill has now let us know the reason he couldn’t attend: He chose to keep a commitment to kids at his basketball camp in Texas instead.
“You always want to do what’s right and make the right decisions,” Hill told Pacers.com on Thursday. “When it came to either trying to do the (National Team minicamp) and letting kids down, my heart is always where the kids are and impacting the community and the future of the kids. I just knew that it was a great opportunity for me to even be invited there, but I always thought it was also a big opportunity for me to keep my word to these kids and continue to be who I am as a person.”
“I’m sure it’ll affect [my status with the program],” he said. “I’m sure there’s going to be people that don’t agree with my decision but also there’s going to be people that do agree. Knowing that I just stayed true to myself and stayed by my decision to keep my word, I should be fine.”
Hill stands by his decision, and while four days working out with some of the game’s best players is an opportunity missed, he was a long shot to actually make any team USA roster.
Only Colangelo can decide if Hill’s reasoning was good enough to get him a pass, but keeping a commitment to children who signed up to spend time with him at his personal basketball camp would seem to be a solid excuse.
Sure, maybe he could have given more advance notice. But with the final roster ending up with a total of 28 players, the camp had more than enough talent in place — to the point where Hill probably wasn’t even missed.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17