Jul 25, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Andrew Bynum was introduced as the newest Cavalier and said all the right things — if he is right and Kyrie Irving is right that is a dangerous team. I think we all expect Irving to be right and an All-Star; with Bynum everybody is wait-and-see.
At his introduction Bynum stuck to the company line about how excited he was to be there and the rest (not that he didn’t mean it, but it’s cliché).
‘I just know that they’re really, really passionate and I haven’t had the opportunity to play for a city that is really just gonna stand up and really support the team, I’m super excited and I can’t wait to see what it’s like.’”
Really? Lakers fans were pretty supportive of Bynum despite his at times disinterested and petulant attitude toward basketball and the organization. Lakers fans expect a level of professionalism that seemed hit and miss with him.
(What people outside Los Angeles don’t realize is the deep well Lakers fans in the city — the people who show up late and spend the game on their iPhones in the lower bowl are just the trendy fans in the television shot. Los Angeles is filled with mechanics and Thai food cooks and insurance salesmen who are passionate Lakers fans but can only afford to go to a game or two a year. Those people watch every game on television and care about the team, not just being seen at games.)
When Bynum is focused and into it, he is a force. He is also one of the least scripted, more thoughtful guys you can find in a locker room. But that package has come with immaturity, which at time reads as a disinterest in basketball. He doesn’t come off as a guy committed to his career or the game.
But maybe missing the last year and the offers he got this summer — the Cavaliers can cut him in the first months of the season and pay him just $6 million — may have swung that attitude around. We’ll see.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)