Jul 25, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Andrew Bynum was introduced as the newest Cavalier and said all the right things — if he is right and Kyrie Irving is right that is a dangerous team. I think we all expect Irving to be right and an All-Star; with Bynum everybody is wait-and-see.
At his introduction Bynum stuck to the company line about how excited he was to be there and the rest (not that he didn’t mean it, but it’s cliché).
‘I just know that they’re really, really passionate and I haven’t had the opportunity to play for a city that is really just gonna stand up and really support the team, I’m super excited and I can’t wait to see what it’s like.’”
Really? Lakers fans were pretty supportive of Bynum despite his at times disinterested and petulant attitude toward basketball and the organization. Lakers fans expect a level of professionalism that seemed hit and miss with him.
(What people outside Los Angeles don’t realize is the deep well Lakers fans in the city — the people who show up late and spend the game on their iPhones in the lower bowl are just the trendy fans in the television shot. Los Angeles is filled with mechanics and Thai food cooks and insurance salesmen who are passionate Lakers fans but can only afford to go to a game or two a year. Those people watch every game on television and care about the team, not just being seen at games.)
When Bynum is focused and into it, he is a force. He is also one of the least scripted, more thoughtful guys you can find in a locker room. But that package has come with immaturity, which at time reads as a disinterest in basketball. He doesn’t come off as a guy committed to his career or the game.
But maybe missing the last year and the offers he got this summer — the Cavaliers can cut him in the first months of the season and pay him just $6 million — may have swung that attitude around. We’ll see.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65