Andrew Bynum makes backhanded dig at Lakers fans

Jul 25, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT

Andrew Bynum AP

Andrew Bynum was introduced as the newest Cavalier and said all the right things — if he is right and Kyrie Irving is right that is a dangerous team. I think we all expect Irving to be right and an All-Star; with Bynum everybody is wait-and-see.

At his introduction Bynum stuck to the company line about how excited he was to be there and the rest (not that he didn’t mean it, but it’s cliché).

Then he was asked about the fans in Cleveland, and he got in a little dig at Lakers (and I guess Sixers) fans (2:30 of the video below, found by SLAM and Beyond the Buzzer).

‘I just know that they’re really, really passionate and I haven’t had the opportunity to play for a city that is really just gonna stand up and really support the team, I’m super excited and I can’t wait to see what it’s like.’”

Really? Lakers fans were pretty supportive of Bynum despite his at times disinterested and petulant attitude toward basketball and the organization. Lakers fans expect a level of professionalism that seemed hit and miss with him.

(What people outside Los Angeles don’t realize is the deep well Lakers fans in the city — the people who show up late and spend the game on their iPhones in the lower bowl are just the trendy fans in the television shot. Los Angeles is filled with mechanics and Thai food cooks and insurance salesmen who are passionate Lakers fans but can only afford to go to a game or two a year. Those people watch every game on television and care about the team, not just being seen at games.)

When Bynum is focused and into it, he is a force. He is also one of the least scripted, more thoughtful guys you can find in a locker room. But that package has come with immaturity, which at time reads as a disinterest in basketball. He doesn’t come off as a guy committed to his career or the game.

But maybe missing the last year and the offers he got this summer — the Cavaliers can cut him in the first months of the season and pay him just $6 million — may have swung that attitude around. We’ll see.

1. alqj24 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I can tell a lot of you people have never been to LA, or happen to see any tweets from the “#LakerFam” on Twitter. We care so much about the Lakers, it’s incredible. Every move, or potential move, is dissected. Even this offseason, there are Laker discussions every day.

It’s a shame that LA is stereotyped by those big starts that live here or come to visit the games. Going to one game, and in a low-key matchup, costs about $50 per person, in the highest row at Staples Center. Obviously, no matter how dedicated we are, just can’t go to many games. Only the celebrities who want to be seen at the game can afford to attend multiple games in a year. However, if you go to a bar, or whatever place in LA, you’re bound to hear about the Lakers(or Dodgers). So please, if you haven’t been here and experienced the dedication Laker fans have by talking about the team a lot and watching every single game, no matter how terrible they’re playing(trust me, I know), don’t even comment please.

PS: the 100’s section isn’t nearly as empty ad some people depict, compared to a place like Miami. I don’t recall seeing many sections available for the start of any game for the Lakers.

2. kvanhorn87 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

How can this be seen as a dig at Philly fans? He said he hasn’t played yet for a team with passionate fans. He never played for Philly!

3. dezglobal - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

This guys a bum.

4. dezglobal - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

No class.

5. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Really? Mr. “There’s a bank in every city, and I will clunk up 3 pointers whenever I feel I nee
    d to make a point with my teammates and coach, also dancing with healing knees with the playboy bunny on the the shoulders…. ?” . Oh my goodness good riddance and good luck Cleveland!

Sixer Fan

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches