Jul 24, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
There’s not much left out there. By this point in the summer the guys left as free agents are flawed and are still free agents for a reason.
That said, there are still quality players out there who could help teams. Guys with skill sets that if used properly can bring real value to a team — and at this point you can get them at a good price.
Here are my seven best players left in free agency.
• Gary Neal (restricted, San Antonio Spurs guard). The Spurs gave Neal a qualifying offer but are reportedly about to pull it. If that happens someone will quickly snap up the guy who is the best three point threat still out there and who showed on the NBA Finals stage that he can really play. Last season he averaged 9.5 points a game, can knock down threes, can shoot off the dribble or the catch, and he plays smart defense.
• Mo Williams (Utah Jazz point guard). Williams isn’t great but he’s pretty solid — 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three. With the need for solid point guards around the league, it’s a surprise he is still on the market.
• Gerald Henderson (restricted, Charlotte Bobcats guard). Another guy who has shown he can play — he scored 15.5 points a game for the Bobcats last season — and play efficiently. There are a number of teams that could use him but nobody is putting in an offer, so the Bobcats may get him back at a steal of a price.
• Brandon Jennings (restricted, Milwaukee Bucks point guard). We’ve broken down his game before — he gets you a lot of points but he over dribbles, takes bad shots and isn’t much of a defender. While we’ve pointed to his flaws he can still play and it’s a surprise someone hadn’t found an offer he would accept (Jennings has long overvalued his own contributions, that may be part if it). Looks like he could be headed back to Milwaukee on the $4.5 million qualifying offer for one year in what would be a forced marriage neither side will be happy about.
• Nikola Pekovic (restricted, Minnesota Timberwolves center). This is a case of the restricted tag working against a player a lot of teams like — no offers came in like he expected because other teams expected (rightfully) the Timberwolves would just match. So now Minnesota and Pekovic are trying to hammer out a deal. It is possible he will just play for the $6.1 million qualifying offer for this year and be an unrestricted free agent next season. But the Timberwolves would like to keep him as the big next to Kevin Love doing all the dirty work, it’s just a question of if they can afford him.
• Kenyon Martin (New York Knicks, forward). For the second straight year Martin is sitting out on the market and someone is going to get him at a steal of a price. Last season with the Knicks he shot 60 percent from the field (only taking smart shots) and was a great big man paint defender. He likely ends up back with the Knicks.
• Mike Miller (Miami Heat forward). When he’s on the court he is a great stretch player who can knock down threes, make smart passes and play solid defense. He’s also banged up so the question is how much he can really give a team (he has played in 60 percent of his teams’ games the last three seasons). The Miami Heat used the amnesty on him and the buzz is Oklahoma City and Memphis — two teams that could use shooting — are going for him the hardest.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Wade is trying to drop pounds to make life easier on his knees. We’ll see how much that helps.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
That will go away in three months
Aug 1, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
“So when I say I felt disrespected, I just felt like the way I played the game of basketball wasn’t appreciated.” —Isaiah Thomas referring to Sacramento management.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Why is the Pacers’ star choosing LeBron James’ team?
Report: Greg Monroe ‘doesn’t really have a great interest in going back and playing with the Pistons’
Aug 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Pistons have reportedly talked sign-and-trade with Hawks, Suns and Blazers (but Portland is out)
Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Finally, San Antonio basketball fans have a reason to be proud
Aug 1, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Kevin Durant has a couple nice ones.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Bidding starts at $35,000. Which we all have just lying around.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
“Nothing to see here. Move along.”
Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Bosh was very close to leaving Miami in free agency,
Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver engage in three-point shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp (VIDEO)
Jul 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver engaged in a shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp in Vegas.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Mason Plumlee and DeMarcus Cousins will be on opposing teams in Friday’s exhibition.
Derrick Rose was aggressive in pursuit of free agent Pau Gasol. Recruiting Carmelo Anthony? Not so much.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Tensions reportedly exist between Rose and the Bulls front office.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
USA roster has more than enough talent, so it can afford to sacrifice some to get positive attitudes in place.
If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Don’t bet on it happening. But it’s not impossible.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
It’s the memory of a lifetime… even if you get embarrassed.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Mark Madsen and Paul Pressey also reportedly candidates for Byron Scott’s staff
Jul 31, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Watch this and remember why you love basketball.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Wall raising expectations after Wizards met last season’s playoff goal
Jul 31, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 14
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43