Jul 24, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Play well in the Summer League and you get noticed, and that can get you a contract — maybe not a guaranteed NBA contract, you have to earn you way onto the roster, but you get a shot.
That’s what happened for Ian Clark and Josh Akognon Wednesday, both landed deals with NBA teams. Clark has signed with the Jazz, Akognon with Memphis.
Akognon was claimed off waivers, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. Dallas liked him (he was with the team for a brief stretch last season) but they needed to clear out cap space to sign Monta Ellis and had to cut a few non-guaranteed guys free to make it happen.
Akognon with the Grizzlies is interesting — they need outside shooting (they are chasing Mike Miller right now but made no other significant changes to the roster) and that’s what Akognon brings. The Cal State Fullerton star averaged 17.4 points a game from Summer League and shot 39.1 percent from three. He had some up and down games from deep (1-7 against the Warriors, 4-7 against the Clippers) but he turned a few heads.
Memphis has 13 guaranteed roster spots filled right now (and remember they are chasing Miller hard). We’ll see if there is room for him.
The Clark news comes via Jeff Zillgitt of the USA Today.
Clark averaged 12.3 points a game for Golden State during Summer League, capped off by a monster 33 points on 12-of-19 shooting night in the championship game vs. Phoenix.
While the Jazz are a young team not expected to be very good next season I’m not sure how many minutes there would really be in their backcourt for him right now. But they are bringing him to camp at least.
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 2
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 29
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 7
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22