Jul 24, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Ryan Gomes looked promising when he came into the NBA with Boston, he was undersized for a four but could take guys outside and make plays. But as his seven years in the NBA wore on he moved to the three and each season his production fell — by his last season with the Clippers he scored 2.2 points a game, had a PER of 4.4 and was supplanted in the rotation by Bobby Simmons. The Clippers amnestied him in the summer of 2012.
Gomes played last season in Germany but wants another shot in the NBA.
The Providence alum told the Hartford Courant he’s had some workouts with the Spurs and Thunder.
“I was never a superstar kind of guy, I was more of fill-in guy, but I’ve always been consistent,” he said. “My last year playing with Los Angeles wasn’t my best year, it was probably my worst in the NBA. So if I go to a team like [the Thunder or Spurs] I know what my roll is already. I’ll come in and try to fill any void they have there.”
Let’s be honest here — this is a long shot. He’s looked good apparently in the Greater Hartford Pro Am, but we’ll be kind and say that’s a few steps from the NBA.
If this doesn’t pan out, Gomes wants a coaching career — and if you’ve ever talked basketball with Gomes you know that could be a really good fit.
“One day I want to be a coach,” Gomes said. “I just use the experience of playing basketball all of my life, not just in the NBA, to try to give advice and try to predict the right play to make. I want advice from every guy on this team too.”
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23