Jul 24, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Ryan Gomes looked promising when he came into the NBA with Boston, he was undersized for a four but could take guys outside and make plays. But as his seven years in the NBA wore on he moved to the three and each season his production fell — by his last season with the Clippers he scored 2.2 points a game, had a PER of 4.4 and was supplanted in the rotation by Bobby Simmons. The Clippers amnestied him in the summer of 2012.
Gomes played last season in Germany but wants another shot in the NBA.
The Providence alum told the Hartford Courant he’s had some workouts with the Spurs and Thunder.
“I was never a superstar kind of guy, I was more of fill-in guy, but I’ve always been consistent,” he said. “My last year playing with Los Angeles wasn’t my best year, it was probably my worst in the NBA. So if I go to a team like [the Thunder or Spurs] I know what my roll is already. I’ll come in and try to fill any void they have there.”
Let’s be honest here — this is a long shot. He’s looked good apparently in the Greater Hartford Pro Am, but we’ll be kind and say that’s a few steps from the NBA.
If this doesn’t pan out, Gomes wants a coaching career — and if you’ve ever talked basketball with Gomes you know that could be a really good fit.
“One day I want to be a coach,” Gomes said. “I just use the experience of playing basketball all of my life, not just in the NBA, to try to give advice and try to predict the right play to make. I want advice from every guy on this team too.”
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10