Jul 24, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Ryan Gomes looked promising when he came into the NBA with Boston, he was undersized for a four but could take guys outside and make plays. But as his seven years in the NBA wore on he moved to the three and each season his production fell — by his last season with the Clippers he scored 2.2 points a game, had a PER of 4.4 and was supplanted in the rotation by Bobby Simmons. The Clippers amnestied him in the summer of 2012.
Gomes played last season in Germany but wants another shot in the NBA.
The Providence alum told the Hartford Courant he’s had some workouts with the Spurs and Thunder.
“I was never a superstar kind of guy, I was more of fill-in guy, but I’ve always been consistent,” he said. “My last year playing with Los Angeles wasn’t my best year, it was probably my worst in the NBA. So if I go to a team like [the Thunder or Spurs] I know what my roll is already. I’ll come in and try to fill any void they have there.”
Let’s be honest here — this is a long shot. He’s looked good apparently in the Greater Hartford Pro Am, but we’ll be kind and say that’s a few steps from the NBA.
If this doesn’t pan out, Gomes wants a coaching career — and if you’ve ever talked basketball with Gomes you know that could be a really good fit.
“One day I want to be a coach,” Gomes said. “I just use the experience of playing basketball all of my life, not just in the NBA, to try to give advice and try to predict the right play to make. I want advice from every guy on this team too.”
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 6
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 16
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)