Jul 24, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Ryan Gomes looked promising when he came into the NBA with Boston, he was undersized for a four but could take guys outside and make plays. But as his seven years in the NBA wore on he moved to the three and each season his production fell — by his last season with the Clippers he scored 2.2 points a game, had a PER of 4.4 and was supplanted in the rotation by Bobby Simmons. The Clippers amnestied him in the summer of 2012.
Gomes played last season in Germany but wants another shot in the NBA.
The Providence alum told the Hartford Courant he’s had some workouts with the Spurs and Thunder.
“I was never a superstar kind of guy, I was more of fill-in guy, but I’ve always been consistent,” he said. “My last year playing with Los Angeles wasn’t my best year, it was probably my worst in the NBA. So if I go to a team like [the Thunder or Spurs] I know what my roll is already. I’ll come in and try to fill any void they have there.”
Let’s be honest here — this is a long shot. He’s looked good apparently in the Greater Hartford Pro Am, but we’ll be kind and say that’s a few steps from the NBA.
If this doesn’t pan out, Gomes wants a coaching career — and if you’ve ever talked basketball with Gomes you know that could be a really good fit.
“One day I want to be a coach,” Gomes said. “I just use the experience of playing basketball all of my life, not just in the NBA, to try to give advice and try to predict the right play to make. I want advice from every guy on this team too.”
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 14
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 16
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17