Jul 24, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
Memphis needs outside shooting to space the floor, it was painfully obvious during the playoffs (and spare me your Rudy Gay stuff, go look at his jump shooting numbers then move on).
Mike Miller was good enough to space the floor for the Miami Heat the last couple years and picked up a couple rings doing so, but they had to cut him loose to save a few bucks.
So match made in heaven? Well, they are at least going to try it out according to Marc Stein.
Just confirmed: Mike Miller has indeed notified Grizzlies that he's Memphis-bound—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 24, 2013
This wasn’t about money — he will sign for the minimum because Miami still has to pay him the rest of his $6.2 million this season. This was about where Miller felt comfortable and wanted to play.
The questions are health and how much Miller can give the Grizzlies during the season? He played in 59 games for Miami and averaged just 4.2 points a game in the regular season last year. Those 59 games were the most he’s played in the regular season in four years — he has back issues and plenty of other nagging injuries.
But when he plays he plays pretty well — he shot 41.7 percent from three last season. Notice Miami had him on the court in all seven NBA Finals games for at least 15 minutes, and had some key moments in the Heat’s Game 6 win (he played almost 30 minutes that night). Or, remember Game 5 of the 2012 Finals against the Thunder.
This is a good pickup for Memphis. If he’ll be healthy enough to really help the Grizzlies remains to be seen, but that this price it’s a fantastic gamble.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)