Jul 24, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
It’s going to be an interesting season in Detroit.
Bringing in Josh Smith is a talent upgrade for the Pistons, a big one and an expensive one (four years, $56 million). But it’s also one that makes for some interesting matchups for new coach Mo Cheeks to deal with — Andre Drummond is the center of the future, Greg Monroe was the power forward of the future, and that means Smith is the three. But Smith shot 72 percent inside the restricted area last season, 32 percent in the rest of the paint, 30.5 percent from the midrange and 30 percent from three.
The Pistons now have three guys who need to work close to the rim to be efficient, which is going to get crowded and interesting.
Which is why there have been some Monroe trade rumors (possibly in a Rajon Rondo deal) — GM Joe Dumars said only Smith and Drummond are untouchables on the team. But speaking with Ben Goliver of Sports Illustrated Monroe brushed those aside.
“I have a very close relationship, as do most players who play for the Pistons, with the front office,” Monroe said. “They communicate with us very well. … There’s always going to be speculation, people are going to make up stuff, they’re going to hear stuff, they’re going to write it. I don’t worry about it. I’m very happy being a Piston and I hope they’re very happy with me. As far as I know, they like me….
“I think neither of us want a change,” Monroe said of his standing with the Pistons. “People are going to write stuff. I just laugh at it most of the time, because it’s foolish. That’s how people get paid nowadays. Guys like us have to live with it because we can’t comment on it. It’s going to happen. As long as I know the truth, I’m fine with it.”
If the Pistons can make this front line work it will cause problems for other teams because in an NBA where the trend has been to go small the Pistons are going big. Going against the grain can work.
If not, if the paint is just crowded and you can defend the Pistons by packing in the defense on them and getting Smith to shoot more jumpers, then those trade rumors are really going to heat up.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31