Jul 24, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
And Parsons would like a little credit for that.
Speaking with Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports Parsons laid out what he did to recruit Howard — and it was a smart strategy.
“I think I had a big impact,” Parsons said at USA Basketball’s mini-camp. “The first thing he said at the press conference was that, ‘You guys should thank Chandler Parsons because he is a big reason why I am here.’…
“I was just that guy trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible. We have very similar personalities. We are both outgoing. We’re always smiling. We like to have fun. I made him really comfortable that he was not only coming to a really good team, but a team with his friends on it.”
Howard wants — really needs — to have fun playing. You could tell by his body language that the combination of injuries, expectations and offense in Los Angeles sucked the fun out of it for him. His effort and body language showed it. Selling Houston as an idealized college atmosphere is brilliant.
Calculated ploy or not, Parsons’ pitch hit home.
The question with Howard is how he reacts when adversity hits. And it will hit, it does to everyone. Maybe it’s nagging injuries, maybe it’s coach Kevin McHale asking him to run a lot more pick-and-roll (which he pushed back against in Los Angeles), maybe it’s a lot of things. How does he respond? Because the results of Howard vs. Adversity the last couple years went about as well as “The Lone Ranger” on its second weekend of release.
We’ll see, but the Rockets got the big prize this summer and get to be mentioned with the contenders now. Chandler Parsons deserves a lot of credit for that.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 18
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 68
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30