Jul 24, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
And Parsons would like a little credit for that.
Speaking with Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports Parsons laid out what he did to recruit Howard — and it was a smart strategy.
“I think I had a big impact,” Parsons said at USA Basketball’s mini-camp. “The first thing he said at the press conference was that, ‘You guys should thank Chandler Parsons because he is a big reason why I am here.’…
“I was just that guy trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible. We have very similar personalities. We are both outgoing. We’re always smiling. We like to have fun. I made him really comfortable that he was not only coming to a really good team, but a team with his friends on it.”
Howard wants — really needs — to have fun playing. You could tell by his body language that the combination of injuries, expectations and offense in Los Angeles sucked the fun out of it for him. His effort and body language showed it. Selling Houston as an idealized college atmosphere is brilliant.
Calculated ploy or not, Parsons’ pitch hit home.
The question with Howard is how he reacts when adversity hits. And it will hit, it does to everyone. Maybe it’s nagging injuries, maybe it’s coach Kevin McHale asking him to run a lot more pick-and-roll (which he pushed back against in Los Angeles), maybe it’s a lot of things. How does he respond? Because the results of Howard vs. Adversity the last couple years went about as well as “The Lone Ranger” on its second weekend of release.
We’ll see, but the Rockets got the big prize this summer and get to be mentioned with the contenders now. Chandler Parsons deserves a lot of credit for that.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 2
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10