Jul 24, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Ahh, the TMZ ambush interview. Not exactly the zenith of American journalism, but you do catch people without their publicist having scripted the response.
TMZ ambushed Carmelo Anthony in Los Angeles and asked him about maybe joining the Lakers next season and he didn’t make it sound likely.
Anthony was leaving Craig’s in Hollywood this week when we asked straight up if he could see himself in purple and gold after his contract with the Knicks runs out.
CA’s response? “Ummmmm, I doubt it….”
Anthony also told TMZ … he’s NOT secretly plotting with LeBron James to join the same NBA squad … though he admits, they’re pretty damn good when they play together.
First the disclaimer — anything said right now about next summer’s free agency is subject to change. This goes for every player and team.
Anthony joked around with TMZ’s guy but apparently didn’t sound like he was thinking Lakers. When TMZ said “I’m reading between the lines” and he expects to see ‘Melo in Lakers colors the response was:
“I don’t think you should read between the lines. I don’t think you should do that. It’s not good to read between the lines.”
I’ve thought it unlikely ‘Melo bolts the bright lights of New York. He was born there and lived there until he was 8, he fought to get back there, he wants to be part of the Knicks return to glory. (Whether they can do it with him at the heart of the roster is another question, but he wants to be there.)
The feeling when talking to executives and scouts around Summer League is that the Lakers will bounce back sooner rather than later by luring in free agents. That said, the two guys reportedly at the top of their list — Anthony and LeBron — are going to be very hard to pry out of their current situations. Also, Paul George is not likely to happen, either.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 7
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7