Carmelo Anthony on joining the Lakers: “I doubt it.”

Jul 24, 2013, 1:31 PM EST

Ahh, the TMZ ambush interview. Not exactly the zenith of American journalism, but you do catch people without their publicist having scripted the response.

TMZ ambushed Carmelo Anthony in Los Angeles and asked him about maybe joining the Lakers next season and he didn’t make it sound likely.

Anthony was leaving Craig’s in Hollywood this week when we asked straight up if he could see himself in purple and gold after his contract with the Knicks runs out.

CA’s response? “Ummmmm, I doubt it….”

Anthony also told TMZ … he’s NOT secretly plotting with LeBron James to join the same NBA squad … though he admits, they’re pretty damn good when they play together.

First the disclaimer — anything said right now about next summer’s free agency is subject to change. This goes for every player and team.

Anthony joked around with TMZ’s guy but apparently didn’t sound like he was thinking Lakers. When TMZ said “I’m reading between the lines” and he expects to see ‘Melo in Lakers colors the response was:

“I don’t think you should read between the lines. I don’t think you should do that. It’s not good to read between the lines.”

I’ve thought it unlikely ‘Melo bolts the bright lights of New York. He was born there and lived there until he was 8, he fought to get back there, he wants to be part of the Knicks return to glory. (Whether they can do it with him at the heart of the roster is another question, but he wants to be there.)

The feeling when talking to executives and scouts around Summer League is that the Lakers will bounce back sooner rather than later by luring in free agents. That said, the two guys reportedly at the top of their list — Anthony and LeBron — are going to be very hard to pry out of their current situations. Also, Paul George is not likely to happen, either.

1. money2long - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

that’s the right thing to say melo.

• money2long - Jul 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

keyword…say.

2. pantsfreezone - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Too bad for Knicks fans.

• spthegr8 - Jul 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I would love for Melo too join the Lakeshow but I doubt it happens. The reason I HIGHLY doubt it is because of coach D!!! Melo didn’t like him or playing in his system in NY, so why in the Blue HELL would he travel ALL the way across the country to go and do that, all over again????

I would like to personally thank Jimbo “Short” Buss. Not only have you brought in a guy who is helping us get the LEAST out of their abilities but it is becoming painfully obvious that, their are not many people that are “fans” of his ‘system’!!!! SMFH!!!!!

• bchapman2011 - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

D’antoni is a non factor. The only reason he is still the Lakers coach is due to the fact that they are still partially paying for Mike Brown’s salary. Why pay two former coaches and a new coach when you know you are going to have a bad season? Next year the :Lakers will have a new coach (Shaw,Rambis or Jackson) and they will land free agents.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

spthegr8

I would love for Melo to join the Lakers too because I’m not a Lakers fan. He’s even more of a volume scorer than Kobe is. But at least Kobe plays “D”. Kobe is an all time great, but Melo has never been confused with being even a good defender.

Back to Melo’s strong shoot, scoring. Teams only get so many shots a game due to their being only 48 min’s a game. One simply has to look up a teams total FG attempts and divide by 82 games.

It comes out to about 81 shots a game give or take. Melo took 22.22 shots a game last year.

And while Kobe is only currently in 130th place on the all time NBA true shooting percentage leader board, Melo is currently only in 199th place.

Melo scores because he shoots a lot, period. People say he lead the league in scoring. Yes, he did. He edged out Durant because he took 22.22 shots a game and Durant only took 17.69 shots a game.

Durant would have easily been the scoring leader had he shot just a bit more than 17.69 shots a game.

Here is another way to think about this and I’m NOT a LeBron fan, I’m an MJ fan.

Many say Kobe just had one of his best seasons, offensively anyway and I guess he did. He shot .463% from the field this year. Melo shot .449% from the field this year.

LeBron shot .565% from the field. On top of that, this was the 6th CONSECUTIVE year LeBron has raised his FG%.

That isn’t easy for anyone to do, Bird didn’t ever do it, neither did MJ etc…

And it wasn’t easy for LeBron to do this because he started with such a low FG% either.

7 seasons ago, LeBron’s FG% was “ONLY” .476% which was above Kobe’s great season this year and then he raised it for 6 consecutive seasons.

I truly HOPE the Lakers get Melo because will retire soon and then they’ll have someone who is even more of a ballhog than Kobe while being a much worse shooter and one who doesn’t play “D” anywhere close to the level that Kobe has played “D” in his career.

LA fans should hope Melo DOESN’T come to LA.

• pantsfreezone - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I’m not sure if you understood my comment. I was insulting Melo because he will never lead any organization to a title.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM

pantsfreezone

I wasn’t responding to anything you said. The first line of my response listed “spthegr8″ as who I was responding to.

3. jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

*Lala’s head perks up*

Lala: Babe, you say something about LA??!?

Melo: Yah, some reporter is asking me if I’ll go to the Lakers when I am a free agent. I told him no.

Lala: Say what?! I could totally be a movie start producer actress!

• 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Why? You could do all that being in NY. Her hometown.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Haha, I know. I just like busting Carmelo’s balls when it comes to Lala helping make his career decision.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

It’s not like they’re in Cleveland or Milwaukee or anything.

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

La La already lived in Los Angeles from 1999 to about 2011. She already did all that.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Damn, ya’ll are blowing a hole in my lame joke.

4. 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Didn’t make it sound likely??? His response was “Ummmmm….” (having to think about it) and “not likely”. Not a hell no. Or any other variation.

If you were going to ask me would I like to go sign with the Devil and play in Hell, or go sign up to be a part of Al-Quida, my no would be MUCH more definate then an “Ummmmm…not likely.”

He’s currently under contract with his close-to-hometown Knicks, what’s he supposed to say? “It’s possible”? “I can see that happening”?

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I’m thinking you pick the Devil because he would throw one hell of a Championship after party.

• somekat - Jul 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

so because he’s response was not on par with what it would be when accused of being a devil worshipper, or a terrorist, it isn’t valid?

• 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Whaaaat?? Reading comprehension just wasn’t your subject in English class was it? All I’m saying, that if something REALLY wasn’t possible, your no would be a lot stronger, and not wishy-washy.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

It feels good to laugh.

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I think it’s more of a polite dismissiveness, being that he was in Los Angeles… it’s like if an ugly, but nice, girl asks if you would ever marry her.

… you could take that answer be oblivious like Dumb and Dumber and be like, “so you’re saying there’s a chance!”

5. livingsacrifice86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Could you imagine Lebron and Melo on the same team? They would be unstoppable. A pure scorer with lebron being lebron

• bucrightoff - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Nah, they’d be easy to stop. Double team LeBron, Carmelo will force up terrible shots (sounds a lot like now…) and that’ll be that. Carmelo, I player I like, kills any offense’s flow. See the Nuggets before and after he left.

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Funny thing about that… LeBron is a better scorer than Melo. They’ve played the same amount of years and LeBron has 3235 more points. 21081 vs 17846.

That’s a very big difference.

• stoutfiles - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I don’t doubt that LeBron is better at Melo at pretty much everything, but Melo is oft-injured so it makes since he’s lagging behind in total points. When Melo is in the game he’ll get his numbers, even if he has to take every shot.

6. ihavenonickname - Jul 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

This is the big problem for the lakers in 2014 and their supposed quick bounce back… WHO can they lure in?!?! Safe money says bron and melo are long shots at best, Paul George Jon Ringo is unrestricted… WHO DOES THAT LEAVE?? their best case scenario is rudy gay, 32 y/o Zbo and 42 y/o Dirk?!?!?? Gimme a break!

7. sjbrown8 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Carmelo relentlessly pursued the Knicks. He didn’t even care about NY losing pieces with his trade – he just wanted to be there regardless of another superstar.

He loves the Knicks and I doubt he ever leaves on his own will.

8. antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Melo is the last guy who would want to play with Kobe. That guy, more than anyone, needs his 22 shots a game.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

They would get in a fist fight on the court for the ball.

9. chiadam - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Melo and James would be a great team. LeBron could draw three defenders, do all the work, and get Melo open, and Melo can brick open shots.

10. dirtydavis - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

LBJ, Carmelo and Kobe > Dwade, LBJ and C. Bosh

• bucrightoff - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Well one team is real and the other is an NBA2K14 pipe dream….or are Laker fans getting into early season delusional mode thinking its going to happen?

• dirtydavis - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Pipe dream or not….LBJ, Carmelo and Kobe > Dwade, LBJ and C. Bosh

• bucrightoff - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM

But one team is definitely real and one is not. Cause if you wanna go there MJ, Bird, Wilt > Anyone.

• dirtydavis - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

@ Buc,

One is real and the other has a real legitimate shot to become real. Don’t know how can that be delusional when LBJ has stated that he is more of a Business man than anything else. The only way Lakers have a shot at LBJ is if they can get Carmelo to commit… With the way the Knicks are running the show ( old vets, payroll and all the jazz) I can see C. Anthony looking else where. With all that being said there is a chance. Therefore….

LBJ, Carmelo and Kobe > Dwade, LBJ and C. Bosh

• bucrightoff - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

A real legit shot eh? Like really? So I assume since you think mostly impossible things can happen, a Lakers title next year is your prediction?

Here’s why its a pipe dream. LeBron is in Miami, Florida, where he pays $0 a year in state income tax. Los Angeles, in California, has a 13.3% state income tax. On a likely $100 million deal, would you really give up $13 million to play for the Lakers? LeBron is a businessman, which is why he won’t make such a remarkably foolish mistake. If he leaves Miami, its Cleveland and no one else. The Cavs would be the favorites to win it all with him. The Lakers have zero pieces even close to the 4 draft picks the Cavs have made since losing LeBron.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM

dirtydavis

I don’t care about what might or might not happen, but still let’s look at the players you said.

LBJ is LBJ so on either team we’re done talking about him.

Let’s look at Kobe vs Dwayne Wade

Let’s match what would be a 36 yr old Kobe set to begin playing his 19th NBA season. Because that’s what he’d be then. Kobe, like everyone bows to Father Time.

This past year Wade had a PER of 24.0. Kobe’s was 23.0
        2 yrs ago, Wade’s PER was 26.3. Kobe’s was 21.9
        3 yrs ago, Wade’s PER was 25.6. Kobe’s was 23.9

See a trend here? Wade’s PER has been better than Kobe’s for quite a while now and they were for the two seasons before as I could have continued this.

This past yr Kobe shot .463 FG%. Wade shot .521 FG%
        Wade can’t shoot threes but true shooting percentage and effective FG % take into account 2 pt shots, 3 pt shots and free throws.

It’s not close, Wade is much better than Kobe shooting wise.

So if I had a choice in 2014 of a 36 yr old Kobe in his 19th NBA season or a 33 yr old Wade in his 12th season, I’m going to take Wade.

I’m NOT saying Wade has had a better career than Kobe at all just that I’d take Wade for the 2014 season over Kobe.

Now to Melo and Bosh.

Their career PER averages right now are the same. They both are at 20.8

Melo is a ball hog that shoots bricks. Bosh’s FG%, true shooting % & effective FG % all put Melo’s to shame.

Melo scores 24.8 a game for his career. Bosh is at 19.3.

Melo has AVERAGED 19.5 shots a game to get his 24.8 pt per game scoring average.

Bosh has AVERAGED 14.1 shots a game to get his 19.3 pt per game scoring average.

Give Bosh the shots Melo takes and he’ll score more points than Melo does.

Bosh’s career Offensive rating is far higher than Melo’s. Bosh has a 113 Offensive rating and Melo’s is only 108.

On the boards Bosh gets 8.9 boards a game, Melo gets 6.4.

Not surprisingly Bosh’s career Defensive rating is better than Melo’s too but we all know that as Melo doesn’t play defense and he barely plays offense. What he does is shoot a lot of bricks.

So you take your guys. In 2014, I’ll take Wade and Bosh with LBJ over Kobe, Melo and LBJ.

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don’t know about that. Chemistry is everything in basketball and I don’t think the team with Kobe and Melo is going to have great chemistry. There is only one basketball and you have three guys in LBJ, Melo and Kobe who all need to be somewhere near the top of the league in scoring average…

Could be a disaster.

• dirtydavis - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

LBJ and co made it to the finals without chemistry…. Carmelo can co-exist with Kobe because of the Mutual respect. Don’t confuse Kobe to Iverson because Iverson is no Kobe and he definitely was not “the answer “

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“LBJ and co made it to the finals without chemistry…”

You’re mistaken. They made it to the finals with chemistry. Just not enough of it.

When we talk about Melo and Kobe we’re talking about chemistry at negative levels. You get what I’m saying? On a 1-10 chemistry scale it’s probably registering -3.

The 2011 Heat had chemistry at about level 6-7. They needed 8+.

• dirtydavis - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

@Anit

I don’t agree with your imaginary scale…

on scale from 01-10 I give your imaginary scale a 0(zero) because you have nothing to back it up

• bougin89 - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

“One is real and the other has a real legitimate shot to become real.”

HAHA. Delusional. I’d take Wade LBJ and Bosh anyway and I strongly, strongly dislike the Heat.

11. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Are you serious less than a week later after Dwight leaves “breaking news the lakers COULD get Carmelo NEXT year. In my opinion that NOT news he is staying in New York when free agency comes around then don’t talk A season before next free agency I hate it when people do this and news flash the Parker’s aren’t getting rid of kobe so don’t even

12. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Lebron is not leaving ether he knows for a fact that the lakers aren’t as good of a contender as the heat are you insane he’s been there done that… You already have 1 city that hates you why would you want another he’s staying in Miami

13. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Where in the world are the getting the cap to sign melo and LBJ

• Kurt Helin - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Every player but Nash and Sacre comes off the books.

14. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I’m not a lake fan I’m a mavs fan I just don’t like it when people talk fa and trade rumors that are extremely unlikely lebron is staying it just makes sense melo wants to stay in NY because that’s where he grew up he loves the Knicks

15. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Mj,Stockton,Olajuwon think stock feeds it to mj and Hakeem is the defensive anchor who can post em up offensively which leads to open shots perfection> any body

16. jhop86 - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I can understand that but Miami can resign him for a ton the lakers could do the same you decide whitch team has a brighter future

17. soundsofsuccess7 - Jul 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Another bad article by PBT.

Just like Paul George, this isn’t news. No athlete is going to say, “yeah I’d like to leave my current team”..

C’mon man…

• antistratfordian - Jul 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Well Jason Terry did when he was on the Mavs. Dalembert did the same thing while he was still on the Bucks.

18. jeff6381 - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

No Dwight Howard, Paul George, Carmelo Anthony, and I am pretty sure Lebron isn’t leaving Miami for L.A. Lakers fans get ready for a bad team for a while.

19. jhop86 - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Put kobe in his prime vs d wade in his prime kobe every time

20. bucs24 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Lakers r done Kobe please leave, no one wants to play with you

21. cavemanna - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That was the stupidest thing I’ve sermon here for your reasoning why I’d take Wade over Kobe etc. reminds me why there is no gospel here , only a bunch of smoes and the ass err opinions. Tell me wat was the fga difference between Kobe and wade? Stats can be looked at a million ways, but in the end you failed to look at the players. Wade over Kobe was laughable. I wouldn’t go around sharing that if you want people to think u have an educated opinion.

22. sackings916 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

As a laker hater, please sign Carmelo!!! That way I can rest assure the Lakers will not be winning for however long he’s there because Anthony does not win it all ever!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches