This video explains why Brandon Jennings remains a free agent

Jul 23, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT

I feel like I have beat this drum for a while — the explanation of why Brandon Jennings is not getting the kind of offers from teams he thought he would. He’s not a bad player, he’s an above average point guard, but the flaws in his game make it very hard to build around him. His shot selection is terrible and he is not a good defender. Teams have serious questions about if those flaws can be corrected.

So rather than me beating you over the head with it again, here is Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown.com to take a turn explaining the problems, complete with video. (One of the fun parts of Summer League for me is getting to meet other basketball writers I love to read, and get to hang out with them. Got to spend with Coach Nick in Vegas and he is a great guy, if not a great table tennis player.)

The Bucks are looking for a sign-and-trade partner for Jennings, but that market is baren.It looks like he will be forced to take the $4.3 million qualifying offer with the Bucks, kind of a shotgun forced marriage for one more year. Thing is, if Jennings thinks the market is going to be dramatically different next season when he is an unrestricted free agent he is in for a shock. This video explains why.

1. money2long - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM

like in the rap game, this is equivalent to a diss record.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM

HAAA!^

2. JMClarkent - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM

What do you give up for a point guard who isn’t a great passer, shooter, finisher or defender?

I think with the right coach (if he buys in) he has promise, but Brandon hasn’t really improved his game much since his rookie year.

3. asimonetti88 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I like Jennings but he needs to improve his game a lot. This video pretty much hits the nail on the head. He needs to put some really hard work in this year.

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM

but will he? my $ says his ego wont let him come down to earth anytime soon. he better dust off his passport and brush up on his Chinese.

• zoomy123 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Saying Brandon Jennings needs to work on his game is like saying a terminally ill cancer patient needs to get well.

• moseskkim - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM

My friend, u need some help in the analogy department. There are things to joke about and then there’s this.

4. atthebuzzzer - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Reblogged this on At The Buzzzer.

5. 00maltliquor - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Ouch man…very ouch!

For some reason when watching this I can picture Brandon in full on B-Rad from Malibu’s Most Wanted mode, saying, “Don’t be hatin'”!

6. danielgmz - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I love you spreading the word of BballBreakdown… GREAT Youtube channel if you love basketball!

7. roanboon - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Do coaches point these things out? Maybe there’s pressure from owners to create high scoring stars to keep jersey sales and player marketability high.

8. htownred34 - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I don’t think he’ll get anything more than what the Mavs offered Ellis, and if anyone does offer more its a bad contract. People are starting to see High volume scorers are no longer valuable…

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I agree, which make me wonder why the Lakers want Carmelo? lol

9. nghtrder169 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM

At this stage the guy has issues making a right handed layup? I know he didn’t play college ball, but what were they practicing when he was in High School… As a PG there is no excuse for not being able to make an off-hand layup

10. timb12 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I think I feel worse for Sessions. The video was using him as the stick. “Hey Brandon Jennings, you’re worse than RAMON SESSIONS!”

11. dezglobal - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I bet the Bucks made this video to discourage other teams from offering him more than $4.5 million.

• bougin89 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I would love it if another team made an offer. Ideally the Bucks could work out a sign and trade. Either way I’m loving that “Young Money” is being humbled this offseason with no offers.

12. antistratfordian - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

“This shot chart shows that a vast majority of his shots come from the longest three point shot on the floor, and only 32% around the basket.”

Okay… now I’m not a mathematician or anything… but Coach Nick said the above quote over a chart that had Jennings taking 30.5% of his shots from the longest threes and 32.4% from around the basket. 30.5% is not a vast majority.

What’s interesting about his chart is that it’s similar to Kobe Bryant’s. 37% of Bryant’s shots come from long twos and the longest threes with 32.5% coming at the rim. Jennings takes 40% of his shots from long twos and long threes and 32.4% at the rim.

All of this inefficiency makes sense since Jennings said Kobe Bryant is his favorite player. #KobeSystemStrikesAgain

13. fredgb21 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Sadly, I’m the only PIstons fan who will watch this video, and I knew this stuff before I watched it. What a terrible trade. Joe D has a f’ing problem with wanting Iverson type players. He wanted Iverson 5 yrs before he got him. He likes low efficiency ball hogs with streetball games who don’t understand team basketball and make their team worse. Oh well, at least we have Drummond, Smith, and Monroe.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches