Marcus Smart declares for 2014 NBA Draft

Jul 23, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT

Johnathan Loyd, Marcus Smart

Marcus Smart – a potential No. 1 pick and top-10 lock – made the surprising decision to forgo the 2013 NBA Draft and return to Oklahoma State. Though he says he doesn’t regret it, Smart won’t be repeating that choice next year.

Marcus J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:

Oklahoma State point guard Marcus Smart doesn’t regret not entering this year’s NBA draft, but he also doesn’t plan to pass on the next one.

“It’s safe to say that if, by the grace of God I’m healthy and everything, this will be my last year at Oklahoma State,” Smart said after USA Basketball’s minicamp practice Tuesday at UNLV. “Nothing will change my mind on that. [Oklahoma State] understands. They didn’t figure I was coming back this year. They were just as surprised as everyone else.”

It’s unfortunate Smart has to worry so much about injury. Popularly projected to be the No. 2 by the Magic before withdrawing from the draft, he could have gotten the $9.7 million guaranteed Victor Oladipo will make the next two years.

Smart obviously wanted to stay at Oklahoma State for whatever reason, but it’s a shame he’s forced to make such all-or-nothing choice, even considering his insurance options. The NCAA’s outdated and immoral rules put Smart in that bind.

I hope his choice for this year’s draft turns out well, and I’m relieved his choice for next year’s draft will eliminate a substantial amount of risk.

1. pauliewalnuts90 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM

He shoots better this year… Look out wiggins & Parker. This kid Smart is a baller— top 5 pick in 2014 no doubt!

2. taron2in1 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Not Smart if you ask me. 9.7mil is more then most will ever make. Dumb!!!!

3. bifford - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM

He should have come out this year. Guaranteed #2 pick for Orlando.

4. twreck13 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Orlando will be drafting plenty high to get him next year

5. hannsta - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I always start humming the Get Smart tune when I read about this guy.

6. mrwhiteshadez - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Marcus SMART made a DUMB choice to return to OKST…. TAKE THE MONEY KID! Too much at risk.

7. thomaskouns - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Since when do we start ripping on young men who choose to stay in college to further their education, mature and have numerous life experiences they may not have when they get to the league?

It’s his life not anyone else’s and his decision.

8. bigmeechy74 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I know it may have been a crazy decision. But I don’t care… because I love oklahoma state sports. Him coming back gives them their first chance of being relevant since the final 4 team with Tony Allen, Joey Graham, and John Lucas III. (Damn I loved that team, I missed one of my best friends weddings because he was dumb enough to have it right when the final 4 tipped off. Worst loss ever btw. damn you will bynum. And this is probably the first time anyone on this blog has ever rambled on about Oklahoma State. Sorry)

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches