Jul 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The NBA is out to get [insert your favorite team].
I know it. You know. The NBA certainly knows it. It’s the one out to get [insert your favorite team] in the first place.
Sure, even Lakers, Knicks and Heat fans believe the NBA is out to get their team. But we know that’s ridiculous. The NBA truly hates only the [insert your favorite team].
Occasionally, the media will say you’re being irrational, that those in business realize the league doesn’t play favorites. Balderdash!
Rod Thorn, the NBA’s old and new President of Basketball Operations, in an interview with David Aldridge of NBA.com:
Me: What was the single most entertaining complaint call you got from a team back in the day?
RT: The ones that used to get me were the guys who said they knew the NBA was trying to get them. What’s transpiring with these calls we’re getting? You guys don’t like me. You’re out to get me. Those were the ones that used to crack me up. Like, if we ever told the referees to get anybody, how long do you think it would take to be on a blog, or in the paper? About five minutes? Maybe 10 minutes at the most? Either overtly or covertly. So we know that’s not going on.
Thorn’s last term as President of Basketball Operations ended in 2000. I don’t think blogs were positioned to widely disseminate news of the NBA playing favorites back then, so I call hogwash on Thorn’s excuse.
The league really is out to get [insert your favorite team].
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11