DeMarcus Cousins: ‘I do want to be a King’

Jul 23, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins

DeMarcus Cousins has broken his silence about the only NBA team he’s played for.

After his new owner, general manager and coach came to his Alabama home to speak with him, Cousins has gone from refusing to talk about the Kings to praising them.

Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee:

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins said Monday afternoon without hesitation that he wants to play in Sacramento.

“I do want to be a King,” Cousins said. “I do.”

“I’m super excited where this franchise is headed,” Cousins said. “I’m glad to be a part of it.”

Cousins’ words are an important step, but his actions will speak louder. He must display more consistent on-court focus, prove his coachability and interact positively with his teammates. That, and only that, will quiet the questions about Cousins’ willingness and ability to commit to Sacramento.

Of course, if Cousins doesn’t get a max-contract offer, all this goes for naught.

Unless he signs an extension before November, Cousins will become a restricted free agent next summer. The Kings could play hardball with him, but Cousins doesn’t strike me as the type who would respond well to that.

The Kings have Cousins on board right now. They should either extend him before the season with a max contract, trade him before the deadline or give him a max contract next offseason. Otherwise, these good vibes are out the window – if they haven’t dissipated already.

1. dezglobal - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

He’ll leave.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

then stop being a drama queen……..

2. skinsfanwill - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I’d trade him and let him become someone else’s problem. Who wants to deal with an over-sized cry baby for another few years? Either that or hire Bobby Knight to coach the team.

3. ohioteamsusuallysuck - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Kings better offer him the max or else lakers will

4. qadrir - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM

He’s the on;y player I say LAKERS will have a very shot at signing. Cmon LAKERS fans get excited and start tweeting Cousins.

• mrwhiteshadez - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Cousins in a Laker’s uniform…I like it. I could see that working out very well. Let’s face it, the Kings aren’t going anywhere/doing anything within the next 5 years. I really would like to see him play for a contender. The man can ball.

5. llfreedman - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Everyone knows he wants to team back up with his boy J Wall on the Wizards. Wall, Beal, Porter, and Cousin- dynasty time!!!!

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

not 5, not 6…….

• mrwhiteshadez - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Nope.

• llfreedman - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Jan Vesley at the 4 obviously.

6. themike31 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

The only way DeMarcus Cousins will be a long term King is if they name the royal baby DeMarcus Cousins.

• mrwhiteshadez - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Failed attempt at humor.

• llfreedman - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

ahahaah well done

7. ledman2 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Wishing you good luck D Cousins

8. 13arod - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I dont blame him i wouldnt want to be a king either

• artswarriorpaulminicucci - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Don’t worry the Kings wouldn’t want you or your hero Mr.A-Roids. Good riddance. he’s done dude. No HOF nothing.

9. norcalkingsfan - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Reading these comments shows the ignorance of the common NBA fan. The new regime is NOTHING like the degenerate family that ran the team before. The new coaching staff, management, and front office have money, focus, and drive. The culture change has already started taking place in Sacramento. It’s now up to Demarcus to hop on board.

• mrwhiteshadez - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Not buying it, sorry. I’ll believe it when I see it.

• artswarriorpaulminicucci - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Not buying you mr. white shades, really white shades?

10. artswarriorpaulminicucci - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

DeMarcus Cousins-where do i start. I have rarely seen such a display of stupid comments made by idiots like the comments above.

1. You have not heard a word Cousins has to say. He wants to be a King (he has said this before). he will sign a new deal when its time. “I am loyal to my city.” That would be Sacramento. I know a VP at the Kings who said Cousins has open disdain for LA. He calls it “ZooLA” The leadership of the Kings have taken him under their wing and he is the mainstay for the future.
    2. The Kings deserve credit for not listening to the pundits in the first place and signing him.
    3. the Lakers? Pleez. let’s see, you got the head of AARP at point guard, a one legged petulant over the hill superstar, the softest big guy in the NBA and stalwarts like Chris Kaman, Jordan Farmar and the king of “I never met a shot i didn’t Take” the master gunner himself Nick Young. What a collection of losers and crap. D-league lottery team at best. Besides, Cuz Bookie is going to be a RFA. The Kings will match any offer the Lakers would make. Read the article on this page about the Lakers not going to have cap room in 2014.
    4. It is hilarious that everyone disses Cousins until they think they can get him, then he is great, Sorry dudes, he ain’t going nowhere. he will be a King for a long time.
    5. On who would like to be a King- You cans start with Iguodala, who said he was almost ready to sign up and loved the Kings. Then go to Mitch Richmond who is back, Chris Mullin, Kenny Smith who was dying to be GM in Sacto, Carl Landry who openly campaigned to get back, Greivis Vasquez, who is to quote him”ecstatic”. and then there is Ben McLemore (“God has blessed me to be here in Sacramento), Ray McCallum, and Luc Richard (read his tweets).
    6. Cousins is a loser but if were to go to the Wizards suddenly they would win 7 or 8 rings? Huh? i thought he was a jerk?
    7. You’ll jealous of the Kings, the next great team. They may make playoffs next year but starting in 2014 and beyond, watch out. they are young and talented.
    8. The Kings do not exist to take risks, sign draft picks just so they can be traded for nothing to LA. You draft your own people. Let’s the one Laker draft pick who was good, who was that? Oh, I remember Andrew Bynum. How did that work out again? Oh yeah you had Dwight Howard. he was going to stay in Laker -land forever, blah,blah, blah. How did that one go? We have Vivek Randive and you have Jim Buss. No comparison. Man, i am glad to be in Sacramento. (oh, by the way, I lived in LA for six years, graduated UCLA-couldn’t wait to leave.

11. mcjon22 - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

He’s just channeling his inner Game of Thrones:

“Do you want to be a King?”

“No…I want to be THE King”

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches