Jul 22, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:44 pm: And the deal is apparently done — Nate Robinson has signed on with the Denver Nuggets.
This is a good pickup for the Nuggets — a real value deal at $2 million a year. Robinson will bring scoring off the bench and energy. He’s not going to make the Nuggets contenders, he not consistent, he has some real off nights and his defense isn’t great (he gambles too much). But he will impact the game when he comes in and will win the Nuggets a few next season when he has a night where the fearless guard cannot miss. He was one of the best free agents left on the market and the Nuggets got him at below market value.
3:54 pm: It’s easy to see how Nate Robinson’s fearless shooting off the bench would fit in with the Denver Nuggets. They are up-tempo, they can pressure and gamble on defense, they will take any open shot and a few that aren’t.
Robinson had Denver in the mix of teams he as considered.
Apparently that has been going well, tweets Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Nate Robinson is the kind of player you enjoy watching on somebody else’s’ team, and he averaged 13.1 points a game and shot 40 percent from three for the Bulls last season. He will put up points and often in bunches and fans love him for it and ask him to sign their babies. But his weaknesses (particularly defensively) will drive knowledgeable fans crazy over time. They did Tom Thibodeau.
That said, Denver is about as good a fit as you can find. Robinson off the bench also would give the Nuggets the cushion to look more closely at trading Andre Miller (if they can find a deal that suits them) because they have someone that can soak up some of those minutes. Not as well, but he can soak them up.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9