Jul 22, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
UPDATE 4:44 pm: And the deal is apparently done — Nate Robinson has signed on with the Denver Nuggets.
This is a good pickup for the Nuggets — a real value deal at $2 million a year. Robinson will bring scoring off the bench and energy. He’s not going to make the Nuggets contenders, he not consistent, he has some real off nights and his defense isn’t great (he gambles too much). But he will impact the game when he comes in and will win the Nuggets a few next season when he has a night where the fearless guard cannot miss. He was one of the best free agents left on the market and the Nuggets got him at below market value.
3:54 pm: It’s easy to see how Nate Robinson’s fearless shooting off the bench would fit in with the Denver Nuggets. They are up-tempo, they can pressure and gamble on defense, they will take any open shot and a few that aren’t.
Robinson had Denver in the mix of teams he as considered.
Apparently that has been going well, tweets Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Nuggets progressing on talks w/Bulls free agent guard Nate Robinson, a source tells Y! Sports. Nate & coach Brian Shaw have had good convos.—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) July 22, 2013
Nate Robinson is the kind of player you enjoy watching on somebody else’s’ team, and he averaged 13.1 points a game and shot 40 percent from three for the Bulls last season. He will put up points and often in bunches and fans love him for it and ask him to sign their babies. But his weaknesses (particularly defensively) will drive knowledgeable fans crazy over time. They did Tom Thibodeau.
That said, Denver is about as good a fit as you can find. Robinson off the bench also would give the Nuggets the cushion to look more closely at trading Andre Miller (if they can find a deal that suits them) because they have someone that can soak up some of those minutes. Not as well, but he can soak them up.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)