Jul 22, 2013, 1:38 AM EST
If you’re a college basketball fan, you might remember Nick Calathes when he was a Florida Gator. If you’re a European hoops fan you might know him as a player for PBC Lokomotiv-Kuban in Russia from last season.
Although drafted in the second round in 2009 and traded to Dallas on draft night, Calathes has never played in one NBA game. He’s spent the last four years playing in Europe.
That hasn’t stopped his name from coming up in trade talks, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Dallas Mavericks are in advanced discussions on a trade that would send former second-round pick Nick Calathes to the Memphis Grizzlies for future draft considerations, according to sources with knowledge of the deal…
Sources told ESPN.com that Dallas has since been in discussions with multiple teams on a Calathes trade, but is now on the verge of sending the pass-first point guard to the Grizzlies after Calathes established himself as one of the best floor generals in Europe last season.
Calathes is 6’6” and had some solid showings at Summer League, but his game needed to develop to be NBA ready.
The Grizzlies start Mike Conley at the point but are looking for someone who can play behind him. Well, besides Jerryd Bayless. Getting the rights to Calathes is a smart move, even if he does never play in the NBA — this is a good gamble. As for what Dallas gets… I think Mark Cuban likes cash.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 0
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 20
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 35
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)