Jul 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Dallas has a couple guys who like to be involved in basketball personnel decisions — owner Mark Cuban and Team President Donnie Nelson have their opinions that want to be heard.
But they are bringing in another voice to a position of power.
The Mavericks have hired Rockets VP Gersson Rosas to become the team’s new general manager, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
For Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president Donnie Nelson, the hiring of Rosas is a coup for an organization that has been committed to finding a way to strengthen its basketball operations. Rosas will be given significant latitude to shape the direction of the franchise’s pro and college personnel departments, free agency and scouting.
As an integral part of rebuilding the Rockets’ roster with Houston general manager Daryl Morey, Rosas, 35, is considered one of the NBA’s best young executives.
Guys, if you want to get into an NBA front office job, start as a video coordinator. Rosas joins the growing list who did it that way (along with Erik Spoelstra and others). He was with the Rockets nine years. Rosas is a native of Bogota, Columbia.
Poaching Rockets execs is trendy now, that’s where the 76ers got Sam Hinkie and some assistant GMs have been taken. I’ve been asked before what other teams around the league really thought of Daryl Morey and his system, this is your answer.
The Mavericks have a course set by Cuban to lure another superstar in to play with Dirk Nowitzki. Next summer is a much deeper free agent class; Gersson will have a lot of free agent scouting and planning to get to work on.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 0
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 5
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 12
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (48)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)