Jul 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Dallas has a couple guys who like to be involved in basketball personnel decisions — owner Mark Cuban and Team President Donnie Nelson have their opinions that want to be heard.
But they are bringing in another voice to a position of power.
The Mavericks have hired Rockets VP Gersson Rosas to become the team’s new general manager, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
For Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president Donnie Nelson, the hiring of Rosas is a coup for an organization that has been committed to finding a way to strengthen its basketball operations. Rosas will be given significant latitude to shape the direction of the franchise’s pro and college personnel departments, free agency and scouting.
As an integral part of rebuilding the Rockets’ roster with Houston general manager Daryl Morey, Rosas, 35, is considered one of the NBA’s best young executives.
Guys, if you want to get into an NBA front office job, start as a video coordinator. Rosas joins the growing list who did it that way (along with Erik Spoelstra and others). He was with the Rockets nine years. Rosas is a native of Bogota, Columbia.
Poaching Rockets execs is trendy now, that’s where the 76ers got Sam Hinkie and some assistant GMs have been taken. I’ve been asked before what other teams around the league really thought of Daryl Morey and his system, this is your answer.
The Mavericks have a course set by Cuban to lure another superstar in to play with Dirk Nowitzki. Next summer is a much deeper free agent class; Gersson will have a lot of free agent scouting and planning to get to work on.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15