Jul 22, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
LAS VEGAS – Kyrie Irving is already playing at an All-Star level for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and earned the honor in just his second NBA season.
He’s unquestionably the player who will lead the Cavs to the playoffs and beyond in the future, provided the team continues to make smart roster decisions as it appeared to this offseason by adding Mike Brown as head coach, while going out and getting Earl Clark, Jarrett Jack, and Andrew Bynum in free agency.
But Irving has to want to stay for that to happen, and a recent report had appeared that said he was “not long for Cleveland.”
Irving took to Twitter to immediately shoot it down.
“I wish I knew “someone in the know” for all my facts, maybe I would go into journalism as well!!” Irving said, before following that comment up with this: “Rumors are rumors.”
Irving reiterated his commitment to the franchise at USA Basketball mini-camp on Monday, saying he’s happy with the offseason acquisitions and has no plans to leave the franchise anytime soon.
“I’m a Cavalier right now,” Irving said. “I’m happy to be a Cavalier. I kind of had a sarcastic approach to it from what was said, because it was probably just a rumor started. I don’t think he knows anybody in my camp, and I don’t know who the guy is. But that type of stuff I don’t even pay attention to. Right now I’m a Cleveland Cavalier and I’m happy to be here.”
Irving followed up with a quick “no” when asked if he had any intentions of leaving his current team, before expressing some genuine optimism for the season ahead.
“I’m looking forward to it,” Irving said. “Especially seeing [number one overall draft pick Anthony Bennett] play, and getting to see [Andrew Bynum] play when he’s healthy. I’m really excited about these pieces.”
“Right now it’s just about coming together, and doing things as a team that will propel us over the top,” Irving said. “What makes the good teams great is that camaraderie and that brotherhood. And that’s what we have to develop.”
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8