Kyrie Irving says he has no intention of leaving the Cavaliers

Jul 22, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v New Jersey Nets Getty Images

LAS VEGAS – Kyrie Irving is already playing at an All-Star level for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and earned the honor in just his second NBA season.

He’s unquestionably the player who will lead the Cavs to the playoffs and beyond in the future, provided the team continues to make smart roster decisions as it appeared to this offseason by adding Mike Brown as head coach, while going out and getting Earl Clark, Jarrett Jack, and Andrew Bynum in free agency.

But Irving has to want to stay for that to happen, and a recent report had appeared that said he was “not long for Cleveland.”

Irving took to Twitter to immediately shoot it down.

“I wish I knew “someone in the know” for all my facts, maybe I would go into journalism as well!!” Irving said, before following that comment up with this: “Rumors are rumors.”

Irving reiterated his commitment to the franchise at USA Basketball mini-camp on Monday, saying he’s happy with the offseason acquisitions and has no plans to leave the franchise anytime soon.

“I’m a Cavalier right now,” Irving said. “I’m happy to be a Cavalier. I kind of had a sarcastic approach to it from what was said, because it was probably just a rumor started. I don’t think he knows anybody in my camp, and I don’t know who the guy is. But that type of stuff I don’t even pay attention to. Right now I’m a Cleveland Cavalier and I’m happy to be here.”

Irving followed up with a quick “no” when asked if he had any intentions of leaving his current team, before expressing some genuine optimism for the season ahead.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Irving said. “Especially seeing [number one overall draft pick Anthony Bennett] play, and getting to see [Andrew Bynum] play when he’s healthy. I’m really excited about these pieces.”

“Right now it’s just about coming together, and doing things as a team that will propel us over the top,” Irving said. “What makes the good teams great is that camaraderie and that brotherhood. And that’s what we have to develop.”

1. floridascuba1 - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Gilbert learned to put good talent around talent vice out of prime talent

2. deavn - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

My boy Kyrie isn’t leaving. Gilbert is going to put talent around him so we can have a good team. I think we learned from Lebron.

• antistratfordian - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Well unlike LeBron, Kyrie can’t turn the Cavs into a 50 win team by himself, so they’ve been getting pretty good picks the last few years. That should help them a lot.

It was almost unfortunate that LeBron was so good so soon because it prevented them from being able to draft high.

3. 00maltliquor - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM

…………yet.

4. sfsugator - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

They should make the playoffs this year 7 or 8 seed

5. 00maltliquor - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Take your talents to South Beach, Kyrie! Once the rookie contract and the 1st real contract runs out, we all know what’s inevitable! Nah, you know what, scratch that. You’d look great in Purp n’ Gold homieee!! Come oooon dooown!!

6. atthebuzzzer - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Reblogged this on At The Buzzzer.

7. cantonbound13 - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Future Knick. He’s not afraid to play on the big stage.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Hope so.

8. bigwii - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:41 AM

This team is stacked with young talent and IF Bynum is healthy they will be a good team in the long run with Kyrie leading the way. Irving, Bynum, Bennett, Waiters, Thompson, Clark, and Zeller are all young and have very bright futures. They will get more assets by trading Varajeo and in next years stacked draft, plus they will have all that cap space to keep the team together in the long run. They don’t need LeBron even though if he does go there then well…

9. coryfor3 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Whatev. That’s a lot of “right now”. People know that. We’re talking about later.

• dezglobal - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I thought the same thing lol

10. frankdatank23 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Grow up Cleveland….

• bougin89 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

ok…

11. skinsfanwill - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You had enough help from the commissioner in the drafts over the past 3 years. You better have a good team.

12. jimeejohnson - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Irving will kick some international a$$ for Team USA.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches