Jul 22, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS – Kyrie Irving is already playing at an All-Star level for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and earned the honor in just his second NBA season.
He’s unquestionably the player who will lead the Cavs to the playoffs and beyond in the future, provided the team continues to make smart roster decisions as it appeared to this offseason by adding Mike Brown as head coach, while going out and getting Earl Clark, Jarrett Jack, and Andrew Bynum in free agency.
But Irving has to want to stay for that to happen, and a recent report had appeared that said he was “not long for Cleveland.”
Irving took to Twitter to immediately shoot it down.
“I wish I knew “someone in the know” for all my facts, maybe I would go into journalism as well!!” Irving said, before following that comment up with this: “Rumors are rumors.”
Irving reiterated his commitment to the franchise at USA Basketball mini-camp on Monday, saying he’s happy with the offseason acquisitions and has no plans to leave the franchise anytime soon.
“I’m a Cavalier right now,” Irving said. “I’m happy to be a Cavalier. I kind of had a sarcastic approach to it from what was said, because it was probably just a rumor started. I don’t think he knows anybody in my camp, and I don’t know who the guy is. But that type of stuff I don’t even pay attention to. Right now I’m a Cleveland Cavalier and I’m happy to be here.”
Irving followed up with a quick “no” when asked if he had any intentions of leaving his current team, before expressing some genuine optimism for the season ahead.
“I’m looking forward to it,” Irving said. “Especially seeing [number one overall draft pick Anthony Bennett] play, and getting to see [Andrew Bynum] play when he’s healthy. I’m really excited about these pieces.”
“Right now it’s just about coming together, and doing things as a team that will propel us over the top,” Irving said. “What makes the good teams great is that camaraderie and that brotherhood. And that’s what we have to develop.”
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2