Jul 22, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Thomas Robinson had a nice Summer League in Las Vegas. He’s a plus rebounder that not only gets the balls in his position but also takes them away from other guys, and he averaged 12.8 rebounds a game. He also averaged 10.4 points and 1.2 blocks through five games.
However, the shooting woes were still there — he shot 37 percent. He struggled to either finish inside or consistently hit a midrange jumper.
Genuine concerns about if he could overcome those shooting woes and take care of the ball (he can be turnover prone) are why the No. 5 pick from the 2012 daft — a guy taken in front of Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes — was traded from Sacramento to Houston, then from Houston to Portland in a salary dump (so they could sign Dwight Howard).
I don’t know if you can actually make a comeback after just one year in the league, but Robinson is going to try to revive his career as the backup to LaMarcus Aldridge in Portland this season.
“He’s a beast, man. The league better get ready,” Harden told CSNNW.com. “He knows what his job is, he knows what he’s great at and he does it to the best of his ability. T-Rob is a very hard worker, an excellent rebounder and he’s definitely skilled for someone of his size. I have no doubt about it that he’ll turn his career around in Portland.”
It’s going to take some time, Portland needs to focus on player development with him and let it play out for a couple years. The guy can rebound and the athleticism is not in question, but he just has to get more comfortable scoring at the NBA level and taking care of the ball. He has to value possessions more.
Harden thinks Robinson can do it.
“Oh he’ll definitely stick in this league,” Harden said. “He has a great chance. He has so much upside. That motivates him, other teams giving up on him. He has the chance to do something special and I believe he’ll get it done.”
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37