Jul 22, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
But can he play?
You can guess why there is interest in former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden — in a league where defensive minded big men to protect the rim are at a premium he could be one of those guys, if even for 15 minutes a game. That has value.
But Oden has had three knee microfracture surgeries and seven overall, and he is just 25 years old. He hasn’t played in an NBA game since 2009. Which brings us back to “can he play?”
Sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings will all send representatives this week to watch Oden work out in person.
Sources say that the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks — which had face-to-face meetings with Oden last week — also remain in contention for the 7-footer’s services. But the Heat and Spurs established themselves as the front-runners to land Oden last month and, according to one source close to the process, remain the co-favorites to sign him.
There are advantages everywhere, depending upon he wants to spin it. You can see his role in Miami (they need size) and he could win. Plus living in South Beach has its perks. San Antonio is also a veteran team and one known for using guys in ways they can succeed. Dallas has the Team USA trainer (Casey Smith) that Oden can trust. New Orleans is pitching that they are out of the spotlight that Miami carries around as two-time defending champs.
Oden is wisely taking his time, and the teams are wisely taking their time looking at his medical records and watching him workout. But at some point soon he is going to make his call.
Then we will see if he can play.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39