Jul 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Celtics were Paul Pierce’s team.
It was the “big three” era but Pierce was the face of the Celtics, the best and most loved Celtics star since the Bird era.
Even he admits putting on a Nets jersey next season will be a little strange at first, but it also will be very different on the court. Brooklyn is Deron Williams team, he is the guy setting the table and creating a lot of shots.
“There will definitely be less pressure on me on this ball club than there was in Boston,” Pierce said. “In Boston, I was the No. 1 primary option. Here we have so many options. We have young All-Stars on this team. My job is to be more of a glorified role player, as Doc [Rivers] used to always say, with the guys we have.
“With my abilities to do so many things, there’s going to be nights where I’m not going to score a bunch of points. I can do other things to help this club win. With the combination of these guys, we’re going to take pressure off each other.”
Brooklyn has D-Will at the point, Joe Johnson at the two, Pierce, Kevin Garnett at the four, and maybe the best offensive center in the game in Brook Lopez. Off the bench they bring Jason Terry, Andrei Kirilenko, Andray Blatche and Reggie Evans. That’s a deep and talented roster, one with a number of questions but this is a potentially very dangerous team.
Pierce will see his scoring numbers drop but he is going to need to be more than a glorified role player — he’s going to have to help this team on both ends of the court in the playoffs. He and Garnett need to bring some toughness to a roster pushed around by the shorthanded Bulls in the postseason.
But it certainly will be a different role for Pierce. And one that will take a little getting used to seeing.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42