Jul 21, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Welcome to our latest edition of NBA he-said/she-said, featuring Iman Shumpert and the New York Knicks.
A report appeared in the New York Daily News on Sunday which described some possible tension brewing between Shumpert and the franchise.
It didn’t seem all that explosive, or really even that noteworthy considering what was already essentially public knowledge.
But we’ll let you decide.
Let’s assume that Metta will be a model citizen and is all grown up now. Those same coaches and executives believe that will be the case. But they were also near unanimous in that they feel Metta the basketball player is near his expiration date.
I guess the only question is if [Metta World Peace] expires before Shumpert, one of the few Knicks who has value. Dolan is reportedly upset that Shumpert wasn’t interested in working with the summer league team and wants to trade him. Shumpert, I’ve heard, isn’t too crazy about the moves the Knicks have made, which could further stunt his development.
It was one remark in painting the larger picture of what went down with the Knicks during the offseason, and what role the team’s owner James Dolan had played in it all.
We had already heard a report that Dolan was upset with Shumpert for what was perceived as a level of disinterest in participating in Summer League, to the point where he had considered trading him, if only impulsively.
Whatever friction does or does not exist, Shumpert felt the need to personally address it.
Can we please DEAD these dumb ass rumors! I love my team as well as the new additions. I wanna win! #thatisall -Iman Shumpert
— Iman Shumpert (@I_Am_Iman) July 21, 2013
As with most of these types of things, there’s probably some grains of truth to be found on both sides. But either way, good on Shumpert for publicly pledging his allegiance to the Knicks franchise.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20