Jul 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Rondo is not healthy, however, after undergoing surgery for a torn ACL injury he suffered in late January of last season.
There should be absolutely no rush for Rondo to return, both for his personal overall health as a player as well as the fact that a team like Boston, which isn’t expected to go anywhere next year, has little need for his services.
Pierce speculated at his introductory press conference in Brooklyn that Rondo may not be ready until December or January, but Celtics GM Danny Ainge is eyeing a return for his All-Star point guard much sooner than that.
Ainge did admit that the team might have to take it slow with Rondo during training camp starting in late September, but said being ready for opening night in late October was a reasonable goal.
That’s still an aggressive timeline considering Rondo had surgery in February and would be little more than eight months removed from surgery for that partially torn ACL by opening night.
Pierce and Garnett hinted that they have suggested to Rondo to take it slow, maybe noting that there’s little rush to get back for a team in transition. But after Rondo had to sit out the final three months of the 2012-13 season, it’s going to be hard to keep him pinned down.
The last thing the Celtics need is another situation like the one the Bulls went through with Derrick Rose last season, where hope was constantly dangled in front of the fan base that their best player would eventually return, when in fact that day still has yet to come.
We’re a long way from that in Boston, obviously, as even the most conservative timetable would say that Rondo is expected back sometime before the All-Star break.
But it might be best not to make any promises here where Rondo’s rehabilitation is concerned, and simply let the player himself determine when exactly the best time will be for his eventual return to basketball.
[via Eye on Basketball]
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8