Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Marcus Camby was traded from the Knicks to the Raptors in the deal that brought Andrea Bargnani to New York, but after playing 17 NBA seasons, he had no desire to finish his career with a rebuilding team nowhere near championship contention.
Camby reached a buyout agreement with the Raptors this week, and once he clears waivers on Sunday, the Houston Rockets are expected to be near the top of his list of destinations.
Marcus Camby’s agent Rick Kaplan:”If Marcus becomes a free agent as we expect Sunday the Rockets r a leading contender 4where he’ll end up..
More Rick Kaplan on Marcus Camby: “..next season. He had a very positive experience there. He’d be a great fit with the organization.”(more)
More Rick Kaplan on Marcus Camby& Rockets: “It’s his adopted hometown. It’s premature right now.We’ll see what happens in the next few days”
A lot of this seems like agent-speak, frankly, considering that Camby spent just part of the 2011-12 season with the Rockets, and appeared in only 19 games for the franchise during that time.
But what does make sense is the improved roster in place in Houston, which should help the team immediately compete with the elite in the Western Conference. Camby wants to finish his career with a chance to win, and Houston is the fashionable destination of choice at the moment where players are assembling to try to make it happen.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43