Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Marcus Camby was traded from the Knicks to the Raptors in the deal that brought Andrea Bargnani to New York, but after playing 17 NBA seasons, he had no desire to finish his career with a rebuilding team nowhere near championship contention.
Camby reached a buyout agreement with the Raptors this week, and once he clears waivers on Sunday, the Houston Rockets are expected to be near the top of his list of destinations.
Marcus Camby’s agent Rick Kaplan:”If Marcus becomes a free agent as we expect Sunday the Rockets r a leading contender 4where he’ll end up..
More Rick Kaplan on Marcus Camby: “..next season. He had a very positive experience there. He’d be a great fit with the organization.”(more)
More Rick Kaplan on Marcus Camby& Rockets: “It’s his adopted hometown. It’s premature right now.We’ll see what happens in the next few days”
A lot of this seems like agent-speak, frankly, considering that Camby spent just part of the 2011-12 season with the Rockets, and appeared in only 19 games for the franchise during that time.
But what does make sense is the improved roster in place in Houston, which should help the team immediately compete with the elite in the Western Conference. Camby wants to finish his career with a chance to win, and Houston is the fashionable destination of choice at the moment where players are assembling to try to make it happen.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 16
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 9
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23